Why only 2mb-3mb on AOL

I've been with AOL for a while and i've never had any problems with them, however i am only getting speeds of between 2mb and 3mb, AOL told me that i should get at least 6mb on my line.

I was originally on aol silver and getting 1mb speeds.

However i upgraded to platinum almost 4 weeks ago, i was told that it would take upto 10 days for the line to be stabilised and for the speeds to increase.

I keep doing regular speed checks and it says my download speed is 2245kbps.

I've been going on AOL live help most days and speaking to different people and i get told the same lies like "It's BT's fault" or "We are still stabilising your line" or "It takes such and such many days for your speeds to increase".

When on AOL live help i've requested to speak to a supervisor but i've been refused several times.

Also i've sent off a writen formal complaint but i haven't heard anything back.

What should i do about this???

There's several reasons, yes, it could be BT's fault, it could also be your DSL Filters need replacing, if you were only on 1mb and now 2mb it sounds like the speed has incresed, so its either AOL spinning you a tale, BT's Fault, or your line cant take 6mb, and AOL said that just to get your money. :)

I've just spoken to them and they said the speed will increase to between 5.5MB and 6.5MB within 48 hours, they have to provide you with 8mb broadband as stated in their adverts otherwise i will not hesitate to consult my solicitor as they would be breaking the contract, i've changed my DSL filters, also AOL said it was normal to get 2mb but it would increae to upto 8MB within 10 days but almost 28 days later, it's still on 2mb.

I've been with AOL for a while and i've never had any problems with them, however i am only getting speeds of between 2mb and 3mb, AOL told me that i should get at least 6mb on my line.

I was originally on aol silver and getting 1mb speeds.

However i upgraded to platinum almost 4 weeks ago, i was told that it would take upto 10 days for the line to be stabilised and for the speeds to increase.

I keep doing regular speed checks and it says my download speed is 2245kbps.

I've been going on AOL live help most days and speaking to different people and i get told the same lies like "It's BT's fault" or "We are still stabilising your line" or "It takes such and such many days for your speeds to increase".

When on AOL live help i've requested to speak to a supervisor but i've been refused several times.

Also i've sent off a writen formal complaint but i haven't heard anything back.

What should i do about this???

Bin AOL and go with someone good. As for your formal letter of complaint, you probably WON'T hear anything back from them about it, AOL customer support is staffed by muppets, and I don't mean the cast of the muppet show.. :loopy:

I've just spoken to them and they said the speed will increase to between 5.5MB and 6.5MB within 48 hours, they have to provide you with 8mb broadband as stated in their adverts otherwise i will not hesitate to consult my solicitor as they would be breaking the contract, i've changed my DSL filters, also AOL said it was normal to get 2mb but it would increae to upto 8MB within 10 days but almost 28 days later, it's still on 2mb.

Hmm, don't think so. Read the small print, NO-ONE can guarantee 8Mbps connection even if you're sitting in the exchange. 8Mbps is the maximum theoretical speed possible with ADSL. The contract will state that it's entirely dependent on line conditions, line quality, contention ratio as well as distance from the exchange.

Contact them again anyways as it'll be BTs fault...they're good at connecting things wrong ;)

they have to provide you with 8mb broadband as stated in their adverts

i'm sure their ads say 'upto' 8mbps.

I spoke to an AOL supervisor and they said i will get between 5.5mb and 6.5mb within the next 48 hours.

I don't see how they can promise you'll see a speed increase... but i hope you do. Let us know how it goes.

if you go into your router & look for your stats that sould look like this & post them how far are you away from your bt exchange if you are not sure then follow this link to fined out

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php

Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:20

Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,308 / 14,163

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 24.49 / 429.69

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 32.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 6.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0