Houses on Parson Cross

does anybody know what is happening to the houses that are left up on the cross . are all the houses coming down or are they leaving some council houses up and building private all around, with houses that are over 50 yrs old.There are people that live on there and nobody no,s people dont believe anything the council says because a lot of people have had bad experience with them in the past .sorry for the spelling any responce would be good

It's all very confused.

The council were supposedly demolishing the properties on the Parson cross, because the properties were "undesisreable".

According to the council, folk didn't want the 2-bedroomed properties. they were considered to be "too small". That's theoretically why the properties are coming down.

Thing is, they are demolishing the 3-bed and 4-bed properties, too.

(puzzled expression...)

The properties were unmodernised, admittedly, but, with only a small investment, they could have been upgraded to "inside loos" and they could have had the kitchens extended. There could have been something done to make the properties larger, by knocking through.

Or, what about the idea of permitting the likes of single people to take on the 2-bed properties, if the Parson Cross is so undesireable... the council could have had the rent revenue coming in from the properties... the rent could have been used for re-investment, and upgrading of these, and other council properties across the city... and surely, it's better to have that revenue coming in, than have the properties sitting idle, or being demolished.

It would not have taken that much money to upgrade the properties.

I heard somewhere, about 2 or 3 years ago, that the council actually only spends about 4.5/ 5 quid per week out of the rent monies received *on* their properties, to actually maintain , and administer them. so, if you are paying 35, 40, or 50 quid a week, why can't they put the other 30, 35 or 45 quid to good use, and invest properly in the properties.

PT

My dad is a demolition contractor who works for DEMEX in Rotherham and he seems to think that most of them will be pulled down but you'll have to wait and see because DEMEX is not doing the job. Most of my family and friends live around their so I can see some of em crashing in my house!

It's not the area itself that's the problem, it's the council's own fault for moving the resident chavs up there :loopy:

In fact with the possible exception of Longley and certain parts of Firth Park, most of S5 is chav central IMO.

Originally posted by Rich

it's the council's own fault for moving the resident chavs up there :loopy:

Yawn.. Don't you ever get bored of Chav this Chav that, thats all you ever harp on about.. What the hell has Chavs got to do with this thread which started of with houses.. OOoOoO Just cause the Cross was mentioned..

coz its full of chavs?????? :o

Don't the council have a housing policy of not housing single people in two bedroomed houses?

Seem to remember that all they could get were flats?

Originally posted by Internetowl

Don't the council have a housing policy of not housing single people in two bedroomed houses?

The Council were accepting single persons for 2-bed houses on the Flower Estate, not that long ago....

ok, it's a low demand area, but, meh...?

(and couples-with-no-children are permitted in 3-bed maisonettes)

PT

Originally posted by Internetowl

It was always a policy that I had issues with. I used to see houses empty for months that rent could have been collected from had a single person had the opportunity to move in.

Originally posted by Deejay

Yawn.. Don't you ever get bored of Chav this Chav that, thats all you ever harp on about.. What the hell has Chavs got to do with this thread which started of with houses.. OOoOoO Just cause the Cross was mentioned..

Well said.

"Too many chavs" basically being shorthand for "ooh i wouldnt like to live there far too many working class people".

People who use expressions completly embarrassing bloody snobs.

There is a definate difference between working class and chavs. The difference being the word WORK.