Decimalisation a bad thing

i think when we went decimal it started a lot of problems with price increases wages etc anyone think along the same lines

Yeah me!

I was only about 11 when it came in though, but even then I remember prices being rounded up to fit with it, it was the same with weights of grub too, they rounded them up to fit.

Why didnt they round them down...?

i think if they had made the pound 300 p then price,s wouldn,t have gone crazy .

The price rises of the '70s weren't due to decimalisation, but due to Britain's economy collapsing down the toilet. Would still have happened if we'd stay on the old, silly system, and we'd all still be having to calculate 17.5% of eleven pounds thirteen and eight. :huh:

Now if only some government had the guts to turn the whole country metric...

At the time I used to but penny wafers for....1d One (old) pence each. After decimalisation they were one new pence, about two & a half old pence. The start of rip off Britain?

Biggest con anyone ever pulled on the people of this country! :rant:

Biggest con anyone ever pulled on the people of this country! :rant:

what about "weapons of mass destruction launchable in 45 minutes"? :|

I've got a mate who lives in Barcelona and he said when the euro took over from the peseta, loads of prices mysteriously went up to the nearest euro so we've that littel game to look farward to! :(

At the time I used to but penny wafers for....1d One (old) pence each. After decimalisation they were one new pence, about two & a half old pence. The start of rip off Britain?

Yes it was a golden opportunity for the retail trade to round everything up. The new decimal pound should have been based on the old ten shilling note, which would have made the new penny eqivalent to 1.2 old pence instead of 2.4 old pence.

There's no doubt that decimalisation ripped off everyone.

On the other hand I can remember my wife, in the 1960's having to calculate a wholesale shop's "stock value" using a weird system of booklets needed to calculate, say, 1352 items at 1s.73/4d. each, and doing the same for thousands upon thousands of similarly lunatic values.

I know, I used to assist her.......a true nightmare. :)

I would assume it was the same for large companies calculating an employee's weekly wage..........and the general Company Accounts too. :)

Granted there were Comptometer Operators employed then, on their "Babbage Computers". :hihi:

These day, by using digits to the power of 10, it's a simple job! Tedious without a computer/Calculator, but still a simple job. :cool:

Those shiny coins were nice though. I was amazed how small a 1p was when compared to a penny.

I worked part time in The Nelson when it changed to decimal.

We were panicking like crazy.

we had all the new prices written on the back of the pumps and optics.

looking back now it amazes me what we all were worried about.

How we found it easier to work out 3 pints at one shilling, and elevenpence ha'penny, than 3 pints at 10p is today baffling.

The odd change even then was not significant.

Mind you, this did not stop the local thugs threatening to drag you over the bar if you were a ha'penny short.

What a pleasant place the town centre used to be.:hihi:

*I* want to know where the heck my other 140 pennies went....

it was a huge con, cos everything went up threefold instantly.

I remember my sixpence was suddenly only worth 2.5p..

huge swizz.