Virgin V+ Box vs Sky+

i just recived a phone call from virgin offering me the v+ box for a one off payment of £30.. and no extra payments for the v+ service... i heard normally u have to pay £5 a month or some thing..so i had to take the offer up.. so now im getting: v+ xl, free calls 10meg broadband for £45 a month.. sky would never do a deal like that. i have had 2 family members conned into joining sky saying they will get all this free **** and its just all lies.. and the service is just shocking... virgin all the way

has virgin still only got the 1 HD channel that works a few hours a day ? I canceled my box as there was no point to HD with virgin, bit like buying a car and only driving up and down your drive.

I have to say - I've got the new V+ box now and I've had the Sky+ one in the past - so I thought to myself... who would win in the battle of the super boxes.

Well here is how it would go I think:

V+ Box

PROS:

Free if you are on the top whack package with Virgin

On Demand shows that you can watch - for free - whenever you like

The box looks good

It actually does what it says on the tin

HD already inside the box

Record 2 programmes and watch a third from the box

CONS:

The planner isnt as good as sky's

No fuction to mobile record a programme - yet

On demand needs a lot more programmes on it

Sky+

PROS:

When it works its good

Remote Record

Record 2 programmes and watch a third from the box

CONS:

Its not free

It plays up (have had 4 boxes now before)

You have to buy a new HD+ box if you want HD TV + the subscription :(

So at the minute-

The V+ one is kicking the sky+ box up the bum

did you know that you can get a 2nd V+ in the bedroom for £75.00 and then pay nothing at all every month!! and the techs will still come out if you have a problem with it!

has virgin still only got the 1 HD channel that works a few hours a day ? I canceled my box as there was no point to HD with virgin, bit like buying a car and only driving up and down your drive.

1 streaming channel, but that's not the point. There's plenty of on demand HD, HD films and so on.

It would be nice if they had a few more HD channels I agree, but it's not the end of the world.

did you know that you can get a 2nd V+ in the bedroom for £75.00 and then pay nothing at all every month!! and the techs will still come out if you have a problem with it!

Does that mean if you have 2 boxes you can then record 4 things at once while watching 2 other different programmes , all at the same time?

Does that mean if you have 2 boxes you can then record 4 things at once while watching 2 other different programmes , all at the same time?

yeah because its running off 2 diffrent boxes. they run of there own mac address .. like internet modems you can have more than one running in your house at a time and still getting the speed your paying for on both its not halfed because you have 2...

But it's not hard to upgade the Sky + box with a bigger hard drive

V+ is buggy and very slow to change channels and has only one HD channel.

I'm on my third V+ box and the only thing keeping me with VM is the fact I'm 2.6 km as the crow flies from the nearest BT exchange

The post you quoted was from Feb 2007. I would imagine that both Sky, and Virgin, have upgraded the hard drives on their equipment since then.

I admit to being on my second box, but had no problems getting it replaced, and I'd had it for about 3 years.

I still love Virgin, have no need for Sky Plus or HD channels, but haven't really now kept abreast of the changes Sky have made.

virgin media is the best in my opion get a eurovox max v box and ur good for every channel sports adult movies everything free free free

everybody can get sky - makes it more accessible and better by default in that case.

I am currently looking at both these packages but in the south of the country (pleaase don't lynch me just 'cos I'm a southerner. Lol). Not everyone can get sky because unless you have a BT land line they won't connect you. This will cost me £122 making it more expensive then Virgin. Currently Sky are offering their Sky + box free (with offer code) or their Sky + HD box for £49 compared to the £99 for Virgin. I don't know about customer care for SKy but Virgin are a nightmare. Not only do they get your name wrong, o several occassions the advice they give differs each time you phone. They also do not update you on latest offers etc, leaving you to look them up for yourselves and only getting them when you threaten to remove the service. My current V box is very slow to respond and on demand takes for ever to load. I don't know what the V+ box is like but I hope it responds quicker than the standard one. I am still deciding which one to go with but Sky is so far wining over. I wonder why Virgin were so keen for me to see this web site and no other comparison sites. Good luck all of you still deciding.

virgin media is the best in my opion get a eurovox max v box and ur good for every channel sports adult movies everything free free free

They come in HD too now for £169.99 :thumbsup: