The all things tattoo megathread

the woman just wasnt very helpful in there! i honestly thought she was taking the **** for what it would cost and how big the tattoo is! i know a good tattoo aint cheap and a cheap tattoo aint good but its not that big!!

It's not really the size, it's the intricacy of the design and how long it takes to do, if you want something really fancy with lots of colours and blending etc. it will cost more than a plain black&white design.

A lot of tattooists charge "full price" for first timers, but if you become a regular they drop the rate.

i was gonna have a foot tattoo but i know 3 people that have them and they said its faded and they all had them done at different places, think its cos its so close to the bone! xx

My elbows are tattooed, you can't get much closed to the bone than that, and they haven't faded, I'd go back and ask for it to be re-inked.

It's not really the size, it's the intricacy of the design and how long it takes to do, if you want something really fancy with lots of colours and blending etc. it will cost more than a plain black&white design.

A lot of tattooists charge "full price" for first timers, but if you become a regular they drop the rate.

thats the thing lol it literally is a lily flower in black and white with curly vines coming off it! but i guess if its from a magazine she did say they would be drawing it free hand so i can understand her point there, but i think at the end of the day, they had potential to get business even though they are already well known, its really off putting to be told they dont use numbing cream n im expected to jus sit for 2 to 2.5 hours when im nervous. but i no thts my choice if i want the tattoo doing but its not really reassuring... same with dragon at intake, had no interest in my tattoo and was more bothered about my vivenne westwood pumps! lol

The pain is part of it, if you really want a tatttoo you should be prepared for it to hurt. It is worth it in the end, you won't think that at the time though.

The pain is part of it, if you really want a tatttoo you should be prepared for it to hurt. It is worth it in the end, you won't think that at the time though.

yeah, im thinking of having the lily on like the right to the front of my right leg at the top, its personal meaning so i def want it, im just a big pussy! like i said before i think its my own fear that knocks me out :/ but my friend said try not to think about it, she said i had one when i was 16 n she said she just wasnt mentally ready and she said it ended up hurting even more!! lol

They do some great work but on the handful of occasions I've been in browsing I didn't find them particularly friendly or welcoming.

il second that! not welcoming, awful customer service at feline... i nearly laughed in her face when she told me the price, for how small it is what im wanting doing

If you ask the tattooist will tell you their standard hourly rate. It's been 4 years since I had any tats done so I can't tell you the hourly rate, but if the tattooists agree that the tattoo you want will take 2/3/4 hours then you can multiply up their hourly rate and take it from there.

Feline have a great reputation and that means that they charge more per hour than most other places and can possibly afford to pick and choose clients.

However, I've also got some great freehand work done by Quoz at Qtattoo and he charges significantly less, with no visible difference in quality of work and is very friendly and welcoming.

You choose what, when and how you have done. If budget is one of your considerations then you have to understand that this could impact on the picture that you're wearing for the rest of your life. You're the one who has to wear it though, so you aren't answerable to anybody else for it.

If you ask the tattooist will tell you their standard hourly rate. It's been 4 years since I had any tats done so I can't tell you the hourly rate, but if the tattooists agree that the tattoo you want will take 2/3/4 hours then you can multiply up their hourly rate and take it from there.

Feline have a great reputation and that means that they charge more per hour than most other places and can possibly afford to pick and choose clients.

However, I've also got some great freehand work done by Quoz at Qtattoo and he charges significantly less, with no visible difference in quality of work and is very friendly and welcoming.

You choose what, when and how you have done. If budget is one of your considerations then you have to understand that this could impact on the picture that you're wearing for the rest of your life. You're the one who has to wear it though, so you aren't answerable to anybody else for it.

it wasnt even the price really....just the fact that she was a bit sarcastic up her own arse, id rather give my money for someone to do a tattoo that can do it good but provide customer service too....afterall ur payin ther wages

it wasnt even the price really....just the fact that she was a bit sarcastic up her own arse, id rather give my money for someone to do a tattoo that can do it good but provide customer service too....afterall ur payin ther wages

I'm not paying for their attitude though, I'm paying for their skills.

I don't personally care whether they grunt instead of talking if they are hugely competent at their chosen profession and the work that they did for me is beautiful, intricate and complicated, with lots of colours and shading and is as crisp as it was the day it was done almost a decade after it was etched into my skin, so I can honestly say I was happy to pay their prices.

il second that! not welcoming, awful customer service at feline... i nearly laughed in her face when she told me the price, for how small it is what im wanting doing

Obviously we all have our own personal opinions about who does good work. I still recommend Dave at DNA Art Tattoos on South Road. I was nervous as hell about getting a tat. It hurt but mine is big with lots of color. The line work itself wasn't bad and Dave was really gentle with the needles. Give them a call and talk to Dave or just stop in.

I don't know anything about numbing cream so I have no advice there.

Good luck!!

hey hun!

somebody at my work said they these are good today, so might hav to nip in and have a chat with them! just need putting at ease really! what did you have done there? i was gonna have a foot tattoo but i know 3 people that have them and they said its faded and they all had them done at different places, think its cos its so close to the bone! xx

I had three butterflies with Some swirly bits and leafs and stuff,

Mine hasn't faded at all, It all depends how good aftercare you do,

If your friends soaked there foot in the bath or shower the scabs will havecome to make it look faded, or if they pick it or anything similar.

They are absoloutely lovely people.

And to all those saying numbing cream is cheating, no it bloody well isnt. If your this "big hard pain junkee" that can handle the pain good for you. But some people cannot Accept that ammount of pain (eg sickness, dizziness, fainting etc) If it helps them, it helps them. Least they have it done..

If you are worried and nervous, don't do it.

well said telman, if you are nervous or afraid of the pain then you aren't ready for a tattoo doing.