The all things tattoo megathread

eek look at his website. someone on here recommended scorpion and i checked out the site

some of my tattoos r on that site their not eek.

eek look at his website. someone on here recommended scorpion and i checked out the site

i also have some of my tattoos on scorpion website and my tattoos are not (EEK) either any1 check out this website

http://www.scorpiontattoostudio.co.uk

is there any good tattoois near handsworth/aston or rotherham

there is 1 at handworth on main rd his name is dean not certain of shop name think its aqualine i had 1 from him when he had his shop at attercliffe brill tattooist!!

Has anybody tried that new tattoo shop on abbeydale road? Its got a weird name

Feel The Steel, Mansfield Rd. (Across from Dragon Tattoo)

Mystic Ink at Woodhouse.

i just think if some1 wants a good tattoo look in total tattoo mag and choose some1. my usual tattoo artist (none sheffield studio) is booked up till next august and soon will be for the rest of that year, but i think looking at thou arts site the quality is great-actually theyve been in magazines before so think il visit them

Has anybody tried that new tattoo shop on abbeydale road? Its got a weird name

I'm guessing you mean Irezumi and it's just changed hands. I've been twice - once for a re-ink with the previous owner, Kev, no complaints and it's his work on the walls and the flyers. He's gone/going abroad and the artist is now Tara - definitely not recommended.

I booked the appt before I found out it wouldn't be Kev but decided to see how she was, I'd found some of her work on Facebook and she supposedly has 8 years' experience. She made what should be fun a thoroughly miserable experience. :(

I took my own design and made it clear I was open to advice on size and colour. I was already aware that due to the detail it might have to be a bit bigger, I'd come with the design printed in a few different sizes. My first choice of size was met with 'not gonner appen' - not the best customer service in the world. I asked for advice on colouring and whether she would draw it, which I would expect from somewhere which claims to be custom not flash. Response was 'no, you should come in knowing what you want'. She eventually did use some coloured pencils over the drawing. She'd put my back up so much I was tempted to walk out but my husband encouraged me to stay - I was a bit stressed from being 5 mins late, so hoped I was being over-sensitive. Plus you know what it's like once you've decided to do it....

Once things started she got a bit friendlier and I was happy with what had been discussed. When she put the carbon on, a couple of lines weren't as per my design and were too straight - I checked with her that she'd round them off/fill them out and got 'yes, it's just a guide'.

She then considered it finished after doing a single line version of my design - some parts should have been wider, more curved etc, it was not the same design and went literally over the carbon which is what I was worried about. I pointed this out, she huffed and did a bit more. It still wasn't right and had way too much space in the middle. I am well aware that lines spread over time but this was beyond what's needed to preserve the design. I asked if this was why she'd done it, and if it was possible to bring some bits in more (so it was actually what I wanted!) and got a rant about how much she knows about tattoos and how they age etc. Some of the work she hadn't done was on the outer edge, but there you go...

She then carried on a bit longer, clearly in a strop but there was no way I was leaving with something which didn't resemble my design, what would it matter how it looks in 10 years if I hate it now?! She then went over one of the bits in the wrong colour, so it's now unbalanced, and went over part of it again and again despite having established that my skin really wasn't taking that colour well.

So... 2/3 of it is now not too far off how I drew it, but needs a colour touch up to balance it out. The other 1/3 probably won't take the colour and unsurprisingly is healing the worst, and as it still isn't what I drew (the design was made up of specific things so not open to artistic interpretation, and it doesn't look like what it's supposed to be!) it will need more work doing. As I'm a blood donor I'm also annoyed that this is going to extend the period in which I'm unable to donate. She finished with 'let it heal for a couple of weeks then come back and we'll take a look' - if she thinks I'm letting her near me again she has another think coming, even if she did it for free I'd rather pay someone else!

Throughout, she was patronising, behaved as though she's the only person who knows anything about tattoos, and was moaning about what a **** day she's had and wants it over (I was the last appt) and is ready to kill - really inspiring from someone doing something permanent on your body. Another customer (admittedly somewhat naive and undecided) came in while she was working on me, talking to the other guy in the shop (not sure if he also tattoos) - she was listening to their conversation and making constant derogatory remarks about the guy and how if he went on much longer she'd go over there, I'd be surprised if he hadn't heard them. What kind of way is this to run a business where you're just starting?

All in all - as regards personality and customer service, she was a complete cow. Work wise, it took three attempts to get close to what I wanted; she claimed she'd said beforehand what she was going to do - she didn't, we agreed on a larger size but she said nothing about any problem with then doing the design, if she had, and I wasn't happy, I wouldn't have gone ahead! Part of it I specifically queried at carbon stage and was 'assured' it was just a guide. She commented about it being her reputation on my arm... sorry, but personally I'm more concerned about the fact I'll be wearing it for the rest of my life, and she has a lot more to worry about regarding her reputation than me thinking that lines have spread in 10 years' time, she's destroying that perfectly well by herself, it's hard to imagine her getting much repeat business.

It was a horrible experience, and I ended up breaking down in tears as soon as I left the shop. I am now trying not to let this taint a tattoo which is intended to have a positive personal message for me, and hope to get remedial work done as soon as it's fully healed so that I can actually feel it's mine and I'm happy to show it off.

Sorry this has ended up being so long, but I don't think it's fair to make negative comments without explaining why. With bare facts it might also be viewed that I was naive, didn't ask the right questions, didn't understand etc. This isn't the case, I had my first tattoo over 10 years ago and know what to expect.

In my opinion and experience, both her work and her professionalism are lacking so - Irezumi, in Tara's hands - steer well clear!

I'd recommend Tacho @ Thou Art on Chapel Walk..He's great at doing Japanese/Asian themed tatts..got mine done there by him and have got loads of compliments on it. He charges 70 quid an hour, but off and on there are ppl handing out discount flyers for their services (piercing as well) on the high street =)

I recommend Artisan at switon. Paul Goss who owns it was one of the tatooists at Eternal Ink, Glossop Road before it closed down.