The all things tattoo megathread

Cover ups will always come show through. I had my arm lined with tribal years ago. Although I never had it filled in you can still see the lines through my full sleeve cover up

Have to disagree - I have two cover ups and you can't see a thing of either of the old pieces.

Edited by bensonhedges

It depends on the size. If there small tattoos been covered with something large you'll get away with it. But mine was a full sleeve cover up

What's happening at all ink today, apparently there is a right queue outside.

Had two cover ups done by toby at red monkey upperthorpe cant see a trace of old tattoos

I've had an idea for a tattoo and a quote on it. My problem is I can't make up my mind if its appropriate or not. I love it but I don't want to offend anyone.

I want a design with the quote "Look for me in the whirlwind or the storm". I like the sentiment and the design would probably be on a lions head. It sort of says even if I'm not there my influence is.

However the quote is from Marcus Garvey and goes on to say he will bring a million dead black slaves to support the fight for black liberty (that won't be part of the tattoo).

Would a white man having this on a tattoo be appropriate? I've read a lot about Marcus Garvey and despite him having many flaws he was a very enigmatic character. (Books on his life are well worth a read) I am also a lover of Reggae and Ska which is where the interest in Rastafarian culture comes from.

Secondly my cousins is drawing up a design for me so it will be individual. Will Van Schaicks in Hillsborough be able to do it? Its fairly arty all in black but with some intricate patterning on the mane. What is their work like?

I've had an idea for a tattoo and a quote on it. My problem is I can't make up my mind if its appropriate or not. I love it but I don't want to offend anyone.

I want a design with the quote "Look for me in the whirlwind or the storm". I like the sentiment and the design would probably be on a lions head. It sort of says even if I'm not there my influence is.

However the quote is from Marcus Garvey and goes on to say he will bring a million dead black slaves to support the fight for black liberty (that won't be part of the tattoo).

Would a white man having this on a tattoo be appropriate? I've read a lot about Marcus Garvey and despite him having many flaws he was a very enigmatic character. (Books on his life are well worth a read) I am also a lover of Reggae and Ska which is where the interest in Rastafarian culture comes from.

Secondly my cousins is drawing up a design for me so it will be individual. Will Van Schaicks in Hillsborough be able to do it? Its fairly arty all in black but with some intricate patterning on the mane. What is their work like?

Go and see Mick at Chap Tats, Station Road, Chapletown. He'll do you a fantastic job or advise you on anything you're not sure about. Black and Grey or Full Colour.

Go and see Mick at Chap Tats, Station Road, Chapletown. He'll do you a fantastic job or advise you on anything you're not sure about. Black and Grey or Full Colour.

Definitely Black and Grey.

Van schaiks will do a top job...always been there and always done a great job. Definitely recommend them

If you design your own tattoo (in my case, black & white, medium-size letter and dragon), do most artists like doing them, or do them grudgingly because it isn't ''theirs''?

And do the tattooists have copyright and thus the right to use it afterwards for someone else?

If you design your own tattoo (in my case, black & white, medium-size letter and dragon), do most artists like doing them, or do them grudgingly because it isn't ''theirs''?

And do the tattooists have copyright and thus the right to use it afterwards for someone else?

So long as its a good design(in the tattooists opinion) I imagine most tattooists won't have a problem doing a clients own design. If its a poor design however, the tattooist will probably hesitate because he/she won't want their name associated with it, regardless of how well the application of it is.