Sign in to follow this  

Shops that Sheffield city centre needs but hasn't got.

Originally posted by HarrietStar

muji is a really cool japanese shop that sells stationary and clothes and all sorts of things :)

Its great isnt it :D

I also agree about MVC, we could do with one of those.

and an IKEA... but thats not gonna happen now cos of the stupid council :/

Agree completely that the provision for books in Sheffield is very poor - it would be great to have a Borders here. I can spend hours browsing in the Leeds branch - books, cds, videos, magazines, and all under one roof! Heaven!

I have to say, though, that the shopping in Sheffield is generally MILES better than it used to be - at the risk of sounding shallow, I'm delighted to have Zara and H&M available at Meadowhell, and I noticed recently that Karen Millen have opened a branch in town so I don't even have to go to Meadowhell. My shopping experiences have been transformed!

What I would like to see is a branch of Office (shoes to drool over) opening here, and I'd be "made up" (ha!) to have a Space NK nearby (make-up store that is girlie-heaven!). I have to travel to Leeds at the moment to shop at them - although maybe that's a good thing - it limits the amount I can spend in them!

StarSparkle

yeh but we'll have an ikea in doncaster which'll be good for the region and still in easy travelling distance and much closer than other stores :)

I'm just not sure how true this rumour about an IKEA in Doncaster is... I know somebody said it on that other IKEA thread but I can't find any reference to it on their website. If anybody knows anything for certain let us know... but I reckon we might be looking at Leeds and Nottingham for a while yet.

well we were given a survey to do at ant about how much we'd use an ikea in doncaster and if we'd want one etc. so they definatly are looking into putting one there, even if it is only in early stages!

teh council could be forward thinking (rolls around on the ground in uncontrolable laughter) and look at the states and Japan and see which companies or big there (Taco Bell etc) and get them here first....Instead of followning other cities...

Originally posted by HarrietStar

muji is a really cool japanese shop that sells stationary and clothes and all sorts of things :)

My God! How have we survived without one of THESE?

I bet they'd be queuing three deep to get in one of these shops.... :roll:

When I moved to Sheffield just over a year ago I was amazed at the shortage of decent bookshops in the city centre. There is a Waterstones and that's all? Shocking!

A city this size with two major universities deserves something to rival Waterstones. So come on Borders, get your act together and open a branch in Sheffield!

Don't mention the Pret article - got me fuming when I read the opening paragraph to the review of Thyme.

Personally I'd say it closed because we have far better sandwich shops, at much more reasonable costs available to us!

All I ask for though is a good sandwich shop (Like woodies on Eccy road) that's within 5 mins of the airport as I'm fed up of having to go to Morrisons or Asda every lunch.

Airport Cafe is ok but range fairly limited

Originally posted by robbie

teh council could be forward thinking (rolls around on the ground in uncontrolable laughter) and look at the states and Japan and see which companies or big there (Taco Bell etc) and get them here first....Instead of followning other cities...

Hmmmmm..........

Taco Bell is not an experience I'd like to repeat. I think it was in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, Alaska. Quite what Tex Mex food is doing up in Alaska I have no idea....

And don't forget it was, according to the movie Demolition Man, the survivor of the Fast Food Wars, defeating all other fast fooderies...:)

The thing to remember is that we're NOT Japan or the US. I doubt that kiosks selling used ladies panties (Japan) or hand guns (the US) would go down well here...;)

Seriously, the city should respond to what it's people want - not go off and see what other cities are doing and blindly copy it.

Joe

Borders is great!

As many who've read my ramblings will know I have little time for that place at the Northern end of the M1, but Leeds Borders is great!

They have these comfy leather chairs downstairs and you can spend a good afternoon there reading the books without anyone complaining!

Joe

Yes I also cannot believe that a major city like Shefiiled with two major universities has only got one bookshop - Waterstones - in the whole place - where are all the other chains eg Borders, Foyles, etc.