Why did you choose your breed of dog?

Mine was my charlie breed unkown ....

p.s if anyone knows what breed she could be let me know lol

Pictures of my charlie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/hypogal1986/21909e63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/hypogal1986/c2.jpg

Now my first reaction was PBGV or Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen - with something greyhoundy go give her those style of ears :)

If somebody has suggested 'irish wolfhound' that's probably because technically a lurcher is a greyhound irish wolfhound cross but has more recently been bastardised to mean any animal that has greyhound in it somewhere. Her coat isn't the right texture for irish wolfhound

PS - there's also a larger version of the PBGV - GBGV (grande)

well, having had a (long coated) westie, and a jack russell as kids, I knew I'd be getting a short haired dog - but jack russells are renowned for snappiness with kids, so I began trawling the dog encyclopaedia, and talking to people. I fell hook line and sinker for the beagle. Having attended a dog show full of the little stocky cute balls of personality, that was it

everybody I knew was sick of hearing about:

wrinkly socks

floppity hears

waggitty tails

snuffitty snozzes

you kind of get the picture? ;)

I grew up with a Border Collie who was my best friend (sadly died just over a year ago) but i'd always wanted a little staffie after meeting my brothers, he was just so fun and loving and cheered everyone up if they were upset. I researched the breed before getting one and decided it was definately for me, a year later and i wouldn't be without him, although he knows exactly how to wind me up, exactly how to get what he wants and he is thoroughly spoilt. Put Reeve and my son together and i don't get a look in :(

Now my first reaction was PBGV or Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen - with something greyhoundy go give her those style of ears :)

If somebody has suggested 'irish wolfhound' that's probably because technically a lurcher is a greyhound irish wolfhound cross but has more recently been bastardised to mean any animal that has greyhound in it somewhere. Her coat isn't the right texture for irish wolfhound

PS - there's also a larger version of the PBGV - GBGV (grande)

my brother used to breed irish wolfhounds

English Cocker Spaniel,

not quite so flouncy as the American version but as soft as a brush!

He isn't a big dog, but doesn't look lost on a lead if you know what I mean, He is going through an identity crisis at the minute, he thinks he is a lap dog, loves company and mumbles instead of barks!

Rhodesian Ridgeback or African lion dog

we got Zeus cause you dont see many so you get complemented all the time,

we wanted a large, strong, unusual, inteligent dog.

they also are really interesting, just to know that they track lions in Africa!

Sorry, I have to be a spoil sport and say that breed wasn't overly important for me when choosing my rescue dog - it was down to personality.

To be fair, most owners who go for pedigrees also pick their dog because of personality. Different breeds have particular characters and temperaments which is all part of the breed standard. It's not just all about looks. :)

To be fair, most owners who go for pedigrees also pick their dog because of personality. Different breeds have particular characters and temperaments which is all part of the breed standard. It's not just all about looks. :)

Thank you Purdy,

This has been mentioned SO many times on the forum and I have to say it does upset me when people think I got my dogs just because they're striking and spotty :rolleyes:

There are always exceptions to the rule but in general you can predict somewhat the temperament and character you'll be getting with certain breeds and neither have my dogs have failed to meet the typical breed characteristics.

If somebody has suggested 'irish wolfhound' that's probably because technically a lurcher is a greyhound irish wolfhound cross but has more recently been bastardised to mean any animal that has greyhound in it somewhere.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. A lurcher is a sighthound crossed with a herding dog, NOT a sighthound crossed with another sighthound. The most capable lurcher is a greyhound cross collie; it has the ideal poaching combination of speed, intelligence, silence and stamina.

Thank you Purdy,

This has been mentioned SO many times on the forum and I have to say it does upset me when people think I got my dogs just because they're striking and spotty :rolleyes:

There are always exceptions to the rule but in general you can predict somewhat the temperament and character you'll be getting with certain breeds and neither have my dogs have failed to meet the typical breed characteristics.

Yes, I agree with Purdy and I've mentioned this myself, but my post was deleted...

blip i've just been through the thread and there are no deleted posts...

Are you sure the page fully loaded when you pressed 'post'? Sometimes my posts don't appear because of a slight technical fault with either my pc or maybe a senior moment of SF!

Edit: ah - I've done a search for your posts (most of which appear to have been deleted due to personal insults) and realise what you mean by the deletions.

If you have a problem with this, please go via the helpdesk or one of the group leaders privately rather than bringing it onto the public forum and we can tell you what exactly the problem with your post was so that you know what to avoid doing in future :)

my dog needs a friend to play with lmao she runs all the other dogs mad lmao she plays with em until there too knackerd and then she still bounces on em lol