Sign in to follow this  

Computer Help - Windows 2000 Startup

Switch on PC, seems to be starting up fine, all the usual stuff.

Once completed just a blank screen, everything else seems fine though. ctrl-alt-del brings up the usual thing, and you can get to task manager but just nothing else at all.

Any ideas?

cheers

Hmm... so the Windows Explorer shell isn't loading? Could be a corrupt dll, although it's difficult to tell with no error messages etc.

The best cure for any windows problem though, is Linux.

Boot in safemode (f8 on boot) see if windows comes up corectly. If it does, shutdown again and try a normal boot. If it still does not work try booting to last known good from the start up menu (f8 again on boot).

(I think those options are avail in win2k but it's been ages since I have used it.

If you can bring up the task manager, click "new task" and type "explorer.exe"

Thanks for the suggestions

Neeeeeeeeeek, I've tried that but is just the same in safemode, and last known good config both just the same

RPG, I think there is already en explorer.exe task there, but will give it a try when I get home

Any more ideas welcome!

boot from the cd, enter the recovery console if possible, select the partition, type chkdsk /r to check and repair any corrupt files. I don't think it will help to be honest but worth a try!

does it juts sit there is you leave it for ages and ages?? just wondering if some process is holding it up..

I've left it for about an hour a couple of times and its done nothing.

I'll give RPGs suggestion a try when I get home from work - I'm not hopeful though!

Sorry if I sound dim, but how do I boot from the CD? I was told by someone that if you just put the installation cd in before you switch on it will do it automatically but it doesn't

Have you been doing something naughty?

Like incorrectly modifying permissions on an NTFS formatted drive, and then end up locking yourself out of all programs? Even I did that once :blush:

Originally posted by Yodameister

I've left it for about an hour a couple of times and its done nothing.

I'll give RPGs suggestion a try when I get home from work - I'm not hopeful though!

Sorry if I sound dim, but how do I boot from the CD? I was told by someone that if you just put the installation cd in before you switch on it will do it automatically but it doesn't

your boot from CD option may be disabled in the Main BIOS Settings

stick win 2k cd in. it needs to be an original or a copy of an original really, if it's a slightly dodgy cd with windows and office etc on then i doubt it will be bootable. start the computer, press f2 or f12 or del or whatever it asks you to press to go into the bios, in there you will find the boot sequence somewhere...(under advanced or one of the sub headings) set cd-rom as first, fdd 2nd and hd third for ease, save and exit. then if a bootable cd is in the drive it will scan it and usually say 'press any key to boot from cd' Once you have worked out which is the 'any' key press it and off it goes. :P

Originally posted by Yodameister

RPG, I think there is already en explorer.exe task there, but will give it a try when I get home

Yeah, end it and start it going again.. or just try starting it even if its already running. That explorer.exe running there could easily be a startpage virus