Sign in to follow this  

SPDIF audio help

Anyone ever connected a SPDIF output to a 5.1 digital processor? I have an Amido d1840 laptop with a mini jack output that outputs normal audio to headphones or speakers and is also an SPDIF out. I have a Yamaha E800 diital processor... what do I need to do to get 5.1 sound? A mini jack to 2xphono will let me connect into the analogue surround inputs giving me Dolby surround, I have also tried a mono to single phono and a stereo to single phono to connect into the single digital phonon socket but it does nothing!:mad:

Hmmmm, comlexicated!

cheers....

:D

I would have thought you'd need a digital cable - either optical or coax? As far as I know, you can get SPDIF Coax cables for digital output to your receiver.

Phono cables won't be able to transmit digital/5.1 data to the receiver.

HTH

Tried the digital cable, was sure the phono idea was completly wrong but had nothing to loose!! I have solved it tho! YEY, just for reference in case any one else is interested, the speaker / headphone jack on the front of the laptop also functions as an optical-out! When getting something out of a draw I was at head height with the laptop and noticed a nice red glow from the socket! Learn (and forget) something new every day!!! A standard optical cable with one of those converters and all should be good..

Cheers for the ideas tho. :)