The Importance of Worming Your Rabbit

Not comon practice currently but it should be. Panacur Rabbit has just been remarketed by vets as a annual treatment against parasites in rabbits. It should now be offered alongside your routine vaccinations against Myxi and VHD. Heres why you should use it:

It is not common knowledge that rabbits suffer from the same worms and parasites as many other animals but they do and symptoms such as weightloss are often a common side effect. If your rabbit has not been wormed then symptoms such as this may be attributed to parasites when really the cause is something more serious such as maloclussion or kidney damage.

However the best reason to get your rabbit wormed is to protect against a parasite known as E.Cuniculi. It is estimated that 1 in 2 domestic rabbits are exposed to this infectious parasite during their lives. Many contract it from their mother at birth. EC can cause neurological damage and head tilt, blindness, weight loss and organ damage such as renal failure if left untreated. Ultimately this will end in death.

Please have your rabbit wormed every year or, if you aquire a rabbit, along with its first vacaccinations and at anytime when you add a new rabbit to your family.

I have seen first hand how devastating the effects of this parasite can be, dont let your rabbit go through it!

Thanks Gemima, thats a good price too.

Great post Sooz :thumbsup:

Does anyone know the difference between the two types of Panacur? Jen is currently on a 9 day course of Panacur - my vet recommended it as a precaution since she lived with Harley and he very likely died from renal failure associated with EC :( (He was also treated for EC).

However I've seen some posts elsewhere where people say that their bun is on a 28-day course of Panacur. What's the difference? Is this just a longer course of the same stuff?

9 day is precautionary and weaker the 28 day is treatment for confirmed EC and stronger ;)

The panacur shown on the website is for precautionary purposes only. If you suspect your rabbit has EC take him to a rabbit savvy vet for blood tests and a full 28 day course of treatment. The sooner EC is treated the better the long term prognosis is.

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that Sooz :thumbsup:

here it is linds

Cheers for that. Very good info. Something else to give possible new rabbit owners to think about!! :)

Thanks for that info I didn't know about worming but will make sure I mention it to my vet when they go for their jabs this year.

Thanks Gemima, thats a good price too.

Hyperdrug are great, I use them for a lot of my vet supplies and they are always quick to deliver too

Very useful post Sooz, it never occurred to me rabbits needed worming too