The "Information Commons" - The ugliest building in Sheffield?

There's this church on Ecclesall Rd, on the left just above Hunters Bar. Surely designed by the anti-christ.

I don't mind the building itself, however call me boring or whatever but I did prefer the old terraced housing that was there before. My gran used to live there before the University bought all those buildings. I just hope they don't flatten the others surrouding it to build more of the same.

No, it'd be the ICOSS building (Information Collaboratory Of the Social Sciences). The bio-incubator building does have green stuff on it though - but not the same patinated copper.

I actually quite like the copper look.

Good job you do. It seems to be a 'theme' for the University buildings now. :)

I think people should be able to spot the ICOSS building a little easier now that Jessops is pretty much gone.

Good job you do. It seems to be a 'theme' for the University buildings now. :)

I think people should be able to spot the ICOSS building a little easier now that Jessops is pretty much gone.

Not for long - see above.

I actually quite like it- but then I like a lot of the buildings that stand out, simply because they break the monotony of the landscape and are brave statements.

I agree, it's a 1000x better than most of bland concrete boxes that have been built in the last few years. it's nice to see design coming before profit for a change.

Not for long - see above.

Er... the (1930s) bit of Jessops that's being demolished, allows ICOSS to be seen from Broad Lane and that bit of land won't be developed for years. There are no proper plans as yet.

The Jessop West development will, as the name suggests, be on the west side of the Jessop's site... so behind the BioIncubator, next to Upper Hanover and next to the to-be-renovated Victorian and Edwardian bits of Jessops Hospital...

Perhaps if the we built everything to look like our Gran's house we might make Sheffielders happy?

;)

No! The electricity substation is a classic of Brutalism.

absolutely agree- a bigger n uglier monstrosity would be hard to find

The substation is a fabulous building, but perhaps a slate roof and a few rambling roses around the door might make it appear better?

The substation is a fabulous building, but perhaps a slate roof and a few rambling roses around the door might make it appear better?

obviously it should have been built in the gothic style to fit-in with the rest of the grand old buildings in the area like......erm...err........

I like it, its modern, it has a certain vibe, it fits in well against the Dalton Building opposite and its a big improvement on the previous building on the site.