The "Information Commons" - The ugliest building in Sheffield?

That would be the Bio-Incubator.

No, it'd be the ICOSS building (Information Collaboratory Of the Social Sciences). The bio-incubator building does have green stuff on it though - but not the same patinated copper.

I actually quite like the copper look.

Is that that weird building that kinda juts out like a 'C' shape?

Horrid, horrid building!

Yup that's the one... ICOSS as mentioned below. Maybe that one is worse than the Information Commons. My girlfriend said last night that it's going to age pretty quickly and soon look unfashionable as it doesn't even look fashionable now!

Yup that's the one... ICOSS as mentioned below. Maybe that one is worse than the Information Commons. My girlfriend said last night that it's going to age pretty quickly and soon look unfashionable as it doesn't even look fashionable now!

Pah, I like the ICOSS building too!

:)

Aww, i think the new IC building will look rather nice when its all done. Plus the Arts Tower is awesome! But I'm biased.. I like the patenosta (sp?) lifts inside :D

The Arts Tower is a half size model of The Seagram Building in New York - classic

It definitely uses too much pre-patinated copper (the 'rusty green stuff' to some of you!)

Its a shame because I think a small amount of copper looks really nice on a building, but whoa! I think they must have been going for a bulk discount! :hihi:

Looks like all the buildings surrounding that roundabout are going for the 'turquoise matching look' now...

Aww, i think the new IC building will look rather nice when its all done. Plus the Arts Tower is awesome! But I'm biased.. I like the patenosta (sp?) lifts inside :D

Have you noticed the extra rude graffitti appearing on the paternoster lately .. not sure if its the staff or students being naughty.

Have you noticed the extra rude graffitti appearing on the paternoster lately .. not sure if its the staff or students being naughty.

I saw some of that yesterday on my way up... Getting ruder and ruder those members of staff!

No.unfortunately I don't actually use the Arts Tower so I've only been in the lifts once on an open day :( They're still magical to me!

The Green stuff is called copper cladding, its arrives on site on a roll and is rolled out down the exterior walls of the building.

The grey stuff is standing seam zinc cladding, its a kind of rain screen cladding which is long lasting and weatherproof.

This building is not ugly... its actually very unusual for sheffield to have new building not built from only red brick.. this building is just different.. Its a nice design, they just went a little OTT when it came to the cladding materials.

The building will look good once its finished though :D

OK own up... who has stayed in the paternoster while it flips over the top/bottom, and thought they would go upside down?!

I did and the whole paternoster stopped & left me stuck in pitch dark for 15mins!

I've got to admit, there aren't too many attractive buildings up at the University or on the even numbers side of Glossop Road (apart from those Regency houses). And I reckon, for all of that, the Information Commons is one of the better looking buildings (it still doesn't mean its attractive, though).