The "Information Commons" - The ugliest building in Sheffield?

So is the Universities new Information Commons the ugliest building in Sheffield or what? It looked better with all the scaffolding up around it! The green stuff used as cladding on the outside just looks like rusted copper, and seen as bits of it were hanging off the outside yesterday - it looks like it'll be peeling off fairly shortly. The black side is OK, but the green bit is just ugh.

How on earth did the University get planning permission for such a monstrosity?

http://www.shef.ac.uk/infocommons/news/index_cam.html <-- webcams

I actually quite like it- but then I like a lot of the buildings that stand out, simply because they break the monotony of the landscape and are brave statements.

So is the Universities new Information Commons the ugliest building in Sheffield or what?

I think the electricity sub - station on Moore Street wins that award hands down .

I agree Longcol- it would really have to be bad to beat that.

The bit in the middle of the artist's impression looks like a PC tower unit.

Good on 'em though. Nice to see a unique building.

The green stuff used as cladding on the outside just looks like rusted copper, and seen as bits of it were hanging off the outside yesterday - it looks like it'll be peeling off fairly shortly.

I've been wondering about this too. I don't mind the building, but it did perplex me that they took the scafolding down and the green stuff was dangling off. I thought at first that the green stuff was like that plastic you get covering other plastic to stop it scratching and they would take it off. But the scafolding was down. Hmmm... it needs glue!

No chance, the ugliest building has always been either the Novotel or the Kingdom building.

Information commons looks very nice, and I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

I think the electricity sub - station on Moore Street wins that award hands down .

No! The electricity substation is a classic of Brutalism.

I just love that building ... we used to call it '101 ways with concrete',

But isn't "classic brutalism" ugly by definition?

The green stuff used as cladding on the outside just looks like rusted copper,

The word you're looking for is "patinated" not "rusted", and it's supposed to look like that.