Special to Sheffield, old fashioned beer pump

When I first cme to Sheffield in the late 1970's I was surprised to see a different kind of beer pump here, used in lots of Stones pubs. There was a horizontal glass cylinder and some sort of piston arrangement inside that dispensed the right amout of beer and pulled the next measure behind it at the same time.

I think one stroke was 1/2 pint so you would see the piston go one way then the other and your pint was poured.

Anyone know more about these and any pubs still use them?

Not sure about that...I was in Sheffield in late 70's and I dont recall that.....which pubs in particular?

yeh - I remember those - they were used in quite a few pubs around that time.

I am sure they were for one sort of beer which is on the tip of my tongue but I cannot remember it just yet.

When I first cme to Sheffield in the late 1970's I was surprised to see a different kind of beer pump here, used in lots of Stones pubs. There was a horizontal glass cylinder and some sort of piston arrangement inside that dispensed the right amout of beer and pulled the next measure behind it at the same time.

I think one stroke was 1/2 pint so you would see the piston go one way then the other and your pint was poured.

Anyone know more about these and any pubs still use them?

I was the Landlord of 3 pubs for the Mansfield Brewery and in the time I worked for them there was a similar pump down in the cellar above every barrel or keg. I clearly remember seeing that type of pump on the bar of most Sheffield pubs in the 70's.

Yes there was many of these pumps accross all brewerys they came about when th hand pumps that had the spill tray which was putting the beer back in the system was banned.

One type was a see through cube with a diafram and a handle on the bar side and yes it delivered half pint one way and the same when the handle was moved the other way about. The cube was about 5" OR 130mm in new money.

The othertype was was 2 horizontal glass tubes same idea

Yes there was many of these pumps accross all brewerys they came about when the hand pumps that had the spill tray which was putting the beer back in the system was banned.

One type was a see through cube with a diafram and a handle on the bar side and yes it delivered half pint one way and the same when the handle was moved the other way about. The cube was about 5" OR 130mm in new money.

The othertype was was 2 horizontal glass tubes same idea

Most of the Stones boozers had them. I can remember them in Cross Keys Rotherham, Timber Top, Shirecliffe etc.