Have the council planners got it wrong again (in Ranmoor)?

The planning application for 35 apartments on Storth Lane, Ranmoor is recommended for approval. I cant believe how every new apartment block that looks 99% the same as the last can be described as modern / contemporary / in keeping with its surroundings/ quality etc by the developers when quite obviously its a cheap both in terms of design and materials.

The planning application for 35 apartments on Storth Lane, Ranmoor is recommended for approval. I cant believe how every new apartment block that looks 99% the same as the last can be described as modern / contemporary / in keeping with its surroundings/ quality etc by the developers when quite obviously its a cheap both in terms of design and materials.

If you want to understand more about these issues you can always join the Sheffield Civic Trust.

http://www.yhacs.org.uk/projects/the%20sheffield%20civic%20trust.asp

Where is there room to put 35 apartments on Storth Lane???

What happened to the links on your post. I was just reading them then when I looked at your post again they were gone!

Here they are again -

http://planningdocs.sheffield.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Officer%20Reports-168650.doc;jsessionid=0B3C7A9B2B37D783291C012A575CF514?extension=.doc&wmTransparency=0&id=168650&wmLocation=0&location=Volume3&contentType=application%2Fmsword&wmName=&pageCount=1

http://planningdocs.sheffield.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Application%20(Drawings)-162429.pdf?extension=.pdf&wmTransparency=0&id=162429&wmLocation=0&location=Volume3&contentType=application%2Fpdf&wmName=&pageCount=18

I don't understand Sheffields attitudes to Conservation Areas. Ranmoor has something special and unique in the country and applications like this based just on some developer who doesn't give a **** and only wants to maximise profits should be rejected. :rant:

I was in Ranmoor Hall last night (15th Feb) and there is a large aeriel photograph showing the hall and all the other modern and frankly ugly buildings which seem to be crammed into what must have been Ranmoor Hall's gardens/grounds.

These buildings are ghastly and totally out of context with the traditional design on the old hall. They are a hideous blot on what should be a beautiful area. Typical city planners, they really excelled themselves in ruining this so-called conservation area.

Thus, the new flats ought to be a blessing in disguise but as we all know, the council will mange to find something that is even uglier and more crude than than ever but hey ho, it's another 35 addresses who will pay council tax.

When we passed this application yesterday, we put a number of conditions on it, as the development will be in a conservation area. What is there now is an eyesore and local residents have been asking for action to get these awful buildings demolished. This demolition can now take place. The objections put forward by residents were around highways issues and these will be addressed before building begins. The apartment buildings are not high density and the surroundings will be landscaped. The upkeep of the ponds and weirs will be made the subject of a legal agreement.

Local residents attended the Planning Board and representation was made by a local councillor on their behalf. All their concerns were addressed.

I would be interested to know if any of the posters are, in fact, local residents.

When we passed this application yesterday, we put a number of conditions on it, as the development will be in a conservation area. What is there now is an eyesore and local residents have been asking for action to get these awful buildings demolished. This demolition can now take place. The objections put forward by residents were around highways issues and these will be addressed before building begins. The apartment buildings are not high density and the surroundings will be landscaped. The upkeep of the ponds and weirs will be made the subject of a legal agreement.

Local residents attended the Planning Board and representation was made by a local councillor on their behalf. All their concerns were addressed.

I would be interested to know if any of the posters are, in fact, local residents.

Hello RosyRat

I am a local resident and made a representation when the plans were submitted last year. I opposed the flats proposal, but not the detatched houses propsal. I agree that the demolition of the existing buildings would be a good thing and that this new development might represent a relative improvement and therefore satsisfy the requirement to enhance the conservation area. However its an opportunity lost to enhance 'in real terms' this location.

Many representations were about the poor quality design and these were as usual it seems brushed aside by the usual developers spin. If you were party to this decision I would love for you to admit that this design would have got planning permission anywhere in this city simply because it's so bland with such little charachter that it wouldnt offend in any location, but nor does it enhance certain locations...

I wont go into the housing mix debate.

I dont believe that 'all local residents concerns were addressed'.

Ripsaw.

I agree that there were objections about the design. However, the majority of the objections were over access and traffic problems. The Planning Board did say that care must be taken to ensure the quality of materials and workmanship, but that, as the site is relatively enclosed and well screened from surrounding street scenes there could be some deviation from the traditional form of buildings in the Conservation Area and the opportunity for a contemporary design approach in the replacement buildings.

However, traditional materials such as natural stone have been incorporated into the scheme along with design details such as stone heads and cills which is characteristic of the surrounding area and reflective of some of the features of the Conservation Area.

English Heritage raised no objections and are happy for the planning process to take its normal course. However, if there are local residents who are unhappy about the design, get in touch with Cllr Janice Sidebottom who made representation at the Board. Consultation between the developers and local residents can still take place.

[email protected]

Unfortunately consultation between local residents and the council often means lots of talking and head nodding by the council, with little in the way of actual implementation of anything to address the locals' concerns.

The evidence for this is on the council's website where there are many instances of petitions against proposals which have been given to the council and where little more than lip service has actually been done.

Not once, have I seen the council actually reverse its decision.

As a council member(?) I would ask RR to provide instances of a council U-turn...

Unfortunately consultation between local residents and the council often means lots of talking and head nodding by the council, with little in the way of actual implementation of anything to address the locals' concerns.

I think when it comes down to planning though the council have limited powers to turn down planning applications if they are eg for housing in a residential area - in fact come to think of it I think the council have a lot less power and discretion than most people imagine - much of their work involves carrying out statutory responsibilities.

Not once, have I seen the council actually reverse its decision.

As a council member(?) I would ask RR to provide instances of a council U-turn...

It's not legally possible for the Council to "reverse" a planning approval.