Voice recognition software - recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a proven voice recognition software package - no more than say £100

Obviously I would need a microphone - can these be wireless set up?

Please explain slowly for this technophobe:huh:

Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Standard Edition) is about £54, you will also need a quality usb mike/headset by (for instance) Plantronics for £25-£40. Both are available on Amazon. You will also have to get used to saying the phrase "scratch that" a lot.

You don't need a fancy £25-40 mic, I bought one from GAME for 3 quid the other week for Skype and it works perfectly.

You don't need a fancy £25-40 mic, I bought one from GAME for 3 quid the other week for Skype and it works perfectly.

Rich, which voice recognition program are you using it with?

Rich, which voice recognition program are you using it with?

I use it for VOIP (Voice Over IP) apps like Skype, and it works perfectly for me.

Is there a computer at the other end of the VOIP call interpreting your commands? If not then it may be no good. It need to by crystal clear for voice recognition to work well.

Is there a computer at the other end of the VOIP call interpreting your commands? If not then it may be no good. It need to by crystal clear for voice recognition to work well.

VOIP works like a telephone, only over teh Internet.

You use an app like Skype to call your Skype contacts, and talk to them using a mic or an Internet phone, just like you would over teh phone.

Apparently Aldi sells a good Internet phone, there was a thread about it on here a few weeks back... I got one for a tenner from Staples about 3 weeks ago.

I think you missed the point. I know exactly what VOIP is I don't know if you know what voice recognition is. A headset suitable for VOIP usually used for voice calls between two humans may not be suitable for voice recognition. This is because a computer has to interpret what you have said and any hissing or background noise picked up on cheaper headset would confuse it.

I think you missed the point. I know exactly what VOIP is I don't know if you know what voice recognition is. A headset suitable for VOIP usually used for voice calls between two humans may not be suitable for voice recognition. This is because a computer has to interpret what you have said and any hissing or background noise picked up on cheaper headset would confuse it.

Um, I know exactly what voice recognition is, I tried it a few years ago on my computer but because I have a broad accent, the software couldn't understand me.

Um, I know exactly what voice recognition is, I tried it a few years ago on my computer but because I have a broad accent, the software couldn't understand me.

So you know it is difficult to make it work, that is why it needs a good quality microphone, why add hissing and background noise in to the equation.

Friend of mine, broadest Yorkshire accent you could imagine (Barnsley actually, poor sod), dylexic, with a speech impediment (quite a pronounced stutterer), has voice recognition. After a couple of months of training it he couldn't live without it, MSN, emails, Word docs, the lot.

Strangely enough he dumped his pound shop microphone for a decent plantronics one about 2 days before the software actually started recognising what he was saying.

Pretty sure that was Dragon...