Self Defence Classes/Info

hi steelblade,

i would recommend a 6/12 week crash course one to one of womens self defence (There is a specially researched and designed womens self defence course that includes theory and practical - not taekwondo or karate under a different name - run by Mr. Frank's - details 0796 0990 771 clients include Sheffield High School for Girls) to to give you something to work on and then invest the time in learning a high skill-level martial art (I would highly recommend previously mentioned William Lai's Wing Chun classes at the Chinese centre) so that you have a lifelong skill advantage over most of the population into your retirement years. Yes devised by a woman - highly scientific in principals and based on redirecting the opponents incoming aggression and energy and replying with direct straight line counters - all though you dont have to wait for an incoming strike - as would be expected if you have to rely on brain power and developed skill rather than athleticism and brute strength. Dont go expecting to get fit, though it comes to a lesser degree as a by product of training, but do expect to learn a high level close quarter fighting system.

Class times peviosly mentioned but i believe classes have finished till the new year as Sifu William Lai has returned to Hong Kong for Christmas.

(I'm sure someone is bound to say it sooner or later but wing chun is the art Bruce Lee studied in Hong Kong before moving to America to make films - though the high kicking antics of the films are not part of the Wing Chun system - but it was the basis of his Jeet Kun Do - his real fighting method)

hope this helps

frankieboy

While Ju-Jitsu is an excellent martial art and is very well rounded, in my experience, it would undoubtedly be easier for an older/weaker person to apply Wing Chun skills than most Ju-Jitsu skills – in this respect, the two arts are barely comparable. Wing Chun is based on the principles of economy of motion and efficiency of energy and the focus is very much on relaxation of mind and body – this lack of emphasis on physical strength/fitness is what makes it ideal for those who are perhaps less capable in those areas. Speed is achieved by muscular relaxation as opposed to muscular power and strength is achieved via the correct limb positions. In terms of physical requirements, it is probably more comparable to something like Tai Chi than Ju-Jitsu and it is sometimes classified as a ‘soft style’. Despite this focus on relaxation however, Wing Chun has earned a solid reputation as a practical self-defence skill and is renowned for its hand speed and directness. As stated before, it was devised by a Buddhist Nun, so it’s intended particularly for those who are less strong, but it has been refined by men and is suitable for most adults, regardless of age, gender, size, strength or fitness.

Steelblade - Wing Chun is extremely suitable for a female, however it can take a while to become proficient, and so a short, specifically designed women’s practical self-defence class such as the one offered by Mr Frank’s may be a worthwhile option in the short-term, as well as learning Wing Chun. If you are interested in learning Wing Chun, e-mail Sifu Lai or come along to the Chinese Community Centre on London Road and have a look (classes resume Jan 9th 04).

Despite its benefits, Wing Chun may not be to everyone’s taste, so I’d advise researching the subject a little if anyone’s interested. There are plenty of books on the subject and there is an abundance of material available on the Internet for those who’d like to learn more. Alternatively, e-mail Sifu Lai for further details of his classes or simply come along and have a look.

That should just about cover it…

Thanks for all your help.

Do you know where those female classes are held?

My Dad is actually into martial arts and self defense and has been for the past 30 odd years, unfotunatly due to back problems has had to give it up.

He has told me that the best thing for me to do would be a class like the one offered by Mr Franks and that Ju Jitsu and the rest are not really that good for dealing with everyday occurances of violence as you would really have the time or perhaps space? to carry out the moves effectively.

My Dad did used to run a class that taught self defense to women. He used to teach them how to fight back with everyday objects that they would have in their handbags, purses etc...such as umbrellas, keys, perfumes etc..As I say he has had to stop these classes now and to be honest I would rather be taught by someone else, my Dad would just do my head in! :D

If all esle fails I just have to let my Dad teach me some tricks but after having him spending years practicing his moves on my, ie.twisting my arms and laughing about how he could hold me like that all day, I'm reluctant :D I must point out, I wasn't physically abused by him or anything like that!!:D

I'd have to disagree with the comment about Ju-Jitsu not being of any use because you wouldn't have enough time or space.

I think the problem with a complex art like JJ is that you'd have to be doing it for years before you posessed the skill to use it in a "real life" situation where you don't have any time to think - it's not the art that's the problem, but the proficiency of the artist.

I think ANVIL hit the nail on the head with his comment to you in his post above.

hi Steelblade,

Most of Mr Franks classes are courses or seminars at clients address/business, though they/he does do private one to one / pair lessons at either clients residence or at training hall near the old ice skating rink.

A quick call will get you all the up to date details: 0796 0990 771

(friendly people! - well worth a call)

Frankieboy

Steelblade

I think I know where your dad’s coming from – some martial arts have been criticised for their perceived lack of effectiveness in a ‘live’ situation, and martial arts training does not necessarily provide any guarantee of success (it would be an error, for instance, to disregard the skills of an experienced ‘street-fighter’), but what martial arts training does do is maximise your own personal potential and increase your chances. To the best of my knowledge, Wing Chun and Ju-Jitsu have not received any criticism as to their effectiveness in a ‘live’ situation. Wing Chun is specifically devised for close quarters combat and employs direct and exceptionally fast techniques (it is sometimes referred to as ‘Lightning Hands Kung Fu’), while Ju-Jitsu has a vast array of strikes, throws, locks and chokes which are applicable at various ranges, so both should be able to provide practical self-defence skills. I tend to agree with Mike, in that if particular skills don’t work, it can just as easily be the fault of the practitioner as the art itself. Alternatively, your opponent/attacker could simply be more skilled than you! (which is all the more reason to continue to develop your skills).

If after completing one of Mr. Frank’s courses, you find that you’d like to continue learning/developing skills, I’m sure he will offer you advice. Although most people probably begin martial arts with self-protection in mind, I personally have found that there is much more to offer. I have both the pleasure and the privilege of learning an effective martial art from Sifu William Lai, who is not only a superb martial artist, but also one of the nicest people you’re likely to meet, and a brilliant teacher. I train with a great group of people in a friendly, informal environment, and I am developing not only self-defence/martial art skills (which provides me with both confidence and a sense of achievement), but also my ability to relax and reduce stress. As you’ve probably noticed, I’m more than happy to espouse the virtues of Wing Chun and my particular class, and I’m sure others are the same with their chosen art. The point is that different arts and clubs offer different benefits, so it’s up to the individual to decide what’s effective, interesting, enjoyable and beneficial for them. Not every art will suit every person, no matter how effective it is purported to be, so if you’re not sure, have a look around so that you can make a more informed choice as to what will match your specific criteria. As I said before, I’m sure Mr. Frank’s will be only too happy to advise you as to what steps you could take after completing one of his courses, if that is what you’d like to do.

Does anyone know of a self defence class for beginners? I just want to feel able to defend myself if need be.

I live in Richmond but have a car so can travel.

Thanks,

Kathryn

How much time and effort are you prepared to put in?

This isn't juat a throw away line BTW - any self defence will take an amount of time but some yield quicker results than others as a basic (and VERY sweeping) rule of thumb:

A self defence class will teach you good awareness skills but the physical side will quite possibly be next to useless.

A striking based martial art will yield the quickest results but is most effective if you are big and strong.

Grappling martial arts are more skills based BUT are still often dependant on strength and will take longer to learn than a striking one.

I've a feeling this has already been covered on a thread in here but can't remember offhand - I'll see if I can find it for you :)

Nope can't find it - maybe someone less senile than me will remember the thread I'm talking about :huh:

Hi Kathryn,

You could try Mr. Franks/Sticks & Stones on 07960990771 - they do specially researched women's self defence courses (rather than a specific martial art), mainly to organisations and schools though I believe they also do one to one lessons.

Hope this helps

Does anyone know of a local teacher for Krav Maga?

It seems to be very well respected as a means of defending ones self, and I have to say that my attitude towards self-defence is that I want to learn how to put someone out of commission for long enough to run away.

Joe