The importance of intelligence.

I liked them good looking when I was younger, but brainy as I got older. :cool:

I liked them good looking when I was younger, but brainy as I got older. :cool:

I'm both..............where would you like me :)

How important is intelligence to you? Does it bother you if your partner/a potential partner isn't bright?

Do you believe that intelligence goes hand in hand with other things, for instance, use of vocabulary/more interesting conversation?

Discuss.

Intellegence is a property of the mind that encompasses many related mental abilities such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. In common parlance, the term smart, metaphorically used is frequently the synonym of situational and behavioral intelligence

Although many regard the concept of intelligence as having a much broader scope, the study of intelligence generally regards this trait as distinct from creativity, personality, charachter, or wisdom.

Studies have tended to find that intelligence is one of the strongest factors in assortative mating (ie that couples are usually closely matched in terms of intelligence).

And what studies might they be please?

A source would be appreciated.

Thank you please

How important is intelligence to you? Does it bother you if your partner/a potential partner isn't bright?

Do you believe that intelligence goes hand in hand with other things, for instance, use of vocabulary/more interesting conversation?

Discuss.

more than one form of 'intelligence' has been identified and recognised, so it would depend which specific form you're referring to...

And what studies might they be please?

A source would be appreciated.

Thank you please

and again, which form of intelligence do these studies pertain to?

Intelligence in my partner is very important to me, Otherwise you grow out of your relationship or is it that you mature beyond them. Intelligence in a person lasts longer than the sexual paart of marriage and will keep you together. Don't mistake lack of a decent education for lack of intelligence. there are so many children that our education system fails but still retain a high IQ which no one can take away from them or put it there if it's not there,

so there are many intelligent people around with high IQ and are not well educated.

hazel

I referred to academic intelligence in one of my earlier posts... ie Education.

The thing is, I've never been out with a genius. I've never been out with anyone whos actually completed any college education either!

Maybe I'm not valuing his practical, non-academic side as highly as I'd value a guy who was studying to be an accountant/lawyer/Doctor etc

Thats true. I'm just seeing a side to myself I don't like.

I can understand that, it can be difficult to come to terms with. But as my sis in law says, 'If in doubt, get out'.

I can understand that, it can be difficult to come to terms with. But as my sis in law says, 'If in doubt, get out'.

:nod:

Well he knows I can't be anything more than friends. So I'm not leading him on in any way.

The thing is, on Monday he showed me impeccable manners, I was quite shocked. When I approached him in the bar, he stood up, and did so when I returned from the ladies etc. Held the door open, gave me his jacket as it was sub-zero outside. Alright he may have been on his best behaviour, but he knows what he's doing when it comes to impressing me!

Grrr its becoming pretty obvious that the mere fact that I'm doubting proves *he's* too good for me.