Where did you go on holiday as a child?

What's with the obsession with windswept Lincolnshire towns? Aren't they a bit ... well ... grim, as holiday destinations?

Not at all Lectro, in the 60s/70s all we needed was a bucket and spade and a bit of beach to excavate... fun fun fun...

AS youngters my father would pile us all into the bike-and-side-car, and we'd stop in my (honorary) uncle's caravan, about 4 miles outside Boston (lincs) at a place called hubberts bridge. you could see boston Stump from our site, and there was fantastic fishing for my Pop on the "Fortyfoot".

We got a caravette, when I was about 8, which we used to go to Boston, and also spent a lot of time at Knaresborough (not far from Harrogate) where my pop loved it, as the fishing was particularly good (quelle surprise).

From about 10 yrs old and up, we used to go to another uncle's caravan in Chapel St Leonards, near Skegvegas. This was on the Robin Hood Camp.

Whilst I was with the ex, he insisted on going to Ingoldmells, to Fantasy Island. he loved it there. I detested it, because I like peace and quiet, on holidays. We'd be going to the noisiest camp site, in the noisiest resort on the east coast. Wn the noisiest and most crowded week of the year, August bank holiday weekend.

One year, wedint go bank holiday week, we went a couple of weeks later, and we caught the back end of "hurricaine danielle" which was a total wash-out, never stopped raining all week, and to cap it all, the coach driver put our cloth suitcases in a deep puddle. Our clothes hardly dried out all week. (I bet we got the same "works-week" as Jabberwocky! lol)

Another year, we went with the son, D-in-L and the grandkids, aged 3, 2, and the 2 and a half week old grandbaby...

which was fun...

The year after, the daughter-in law who was 7 and a half months pregnant with Number 4 went into slow labour, halfway through the week... *pulls hair out in frustration*

did I mention there are no maternity services what-so-stinking-ever, in Skeggy? the nearest are 20 odd miles away, at Boston Pilgrim hospital?

We were so poor we coudln't afford holidays, so instead of going away, we'd swap with our neighbours and live in each others houses for a week in August.

Bacton , Norfolk, right next door to the onshore gas terminal

Bacton, prospective Al Qaeda target if news reports are to be believed

Middle Level Drain Outwell Cambs. Nr Wishbech

Hi tedobf. Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance, but where is Crooked Chimney?:confused:

Hello Saxon 51, Middle Level Drain, Outwell Village, Nr. Wisbech, Cambs.

Cornwall, Cornwall, Cornwall, Devon, Cornwall, Devon, Cornwall, Weymouth, Cornwall, Cornwall...

Thank the lord for passports.

Actually, I can't complain. I had some unforgettable times. Good memories.

My grandparents had 2 caravans at cleethorpes so we went there every year.We went to bridlington once and great yarmouth once.

From about 10 yrs old and up, we used to go to another uncle's caravan in Chapel St Leonards, near Skegvegas. This was on the Robin Hood Camp.

so did we, not in yr uncles caravan of course:hihi: also went to bude and hemsby. but spent most wkends in whitby, a family freind had a house there and we'd stay with them:thumbsup:

It was the oldest one on sea lane right next to the beach. Gas light, car battery to power a portable tv and a run to the shower block for a tinkle and a wash.

We also went crabbing, brought a beauty home, mum caught us and dad just as we had thrown it in the pan of boiling water :suspect:

once i got crabs on hols but not that sort :hihi:

we went to spain germany italy ramsgate when i was a kid in the 60s

Hello Saxon 51, Middle Level Drain, Outwell Village, Nr. Wisbech, Cambs.
Thanks for that tedobf.

At least I now know that your parents didn't send you up chimneys as a kid. :thumbsup:

Following on from a day out in cleethorpes...

We went to Scarborough every year, works weeks, last week in July, first week in August, two weeks bed breakfast nd evening dinner. We used to hire one of the beach huts and have spent many a fortnight in there sheltering from the wind and rain lol.

The battleships in peasholm park, its a knockout, melon slices from the fruit stall near the corner cafe. Ride round to the south bay on the open top bus. Jaconellis (sp) icecream and the odd penny spent in Corrigans.

We take the kids these days, probably about three times a year for the day. They love it too.

We went to Scarborough every year too - two weeks in August. Usually stayed in a guest house on Castle Road - I remember the orange nylon sheets very well.... :shakes: We always used to get our 'spot' on the beach a bit further down from the lifeboat house, near the trampolines (I spent hours on them). I remember one year it was so hot that we had to wear flip-flops on the beach because the sand burnt our feet. I remember 'It's a Knockout' too now, i'd forgotton all about that.