Favourite Old Sweets

What are these ?

They're a variation on the theme of cough candy- if nobody up here has heard of them then I take it that they were a Brummie sweet.

I liked kop kops, sour apples, bluebird toffee lollies, mcintosh toffee, kola cubes, sherbert pips, shrimps, oh i could go on forever.

i remember 1p mcgowans toffee,cherry lips,bullseyes,black jacks,fruit salads,pear drops,some still around but dont taste the same,granellis still best for old fashion sweets,lets start a petition to bring back spangles :D

Rachylou

golden cups...a chocalate bar with caramel in the middle.....my fave!!

golden cups...a chocalate bar with caramel in the middle.....my fave!!

Are you thinking of Mackintosh's Toffee Cups - about 4 inches long - chocolate with a runny toffee centre - my grandmother used to bring when she visited - tried to buy way back in 1982 but assume Mackintosh have merged with somebody else. and - yeah - bring back spangles. PS can you still buy polo mints "the mint with the hole"?

Can you still buy other Mackintosh products: Rolos, and another one which I can't rmember the name - it was a long skinny packet with about 20 small chocolate cubes - with runny toffee and crunchy biscuit.???!!!

My favourate was and still is "YORKSHIRE MIXTURE" remember eating them at school always covered in blazer fluff!!!also if ever forced to pass em round would make sure all the fish were at the bottom of the bag so you could hold tight to them!!!also liked fry's 5 boy chocolate and "Old jamaica"rum chocolate bar!!fan of "acid drops"too!!!"pink elephant" strawberry choc ices,the list is endless!!!!!

Can you still buy other Mackintosh products: Rolos, and another one which I can't rmember the name - it was a long skinny packet with about 20 small chocolate cubes - with runny toffee and crunchy biscuit.???!!!

Sounds like you are thinking of Munchies, Helbco. Also, do you remember Mintola? Similar but with a mint centre?

Thanks for all the replies.Bringing back happy memories.

Just found that they are selling the original BAZOOKA bubblies on a stall in the fish market sheffield £1 a box.lovely . but taste lasts about 5 seconds.still smell the same as ever though.

Theres also an old sweet shop at the bottom of the hill near park square i used to take my kids there when they were younger.(grannellis) i think its called.

Bring back the old sweet shops?

I dont think the dentists would agree though. LOL

Thankyou also to gemima for link to http://www.aquarterof.co.uk.

Just been on and there are loads of old sweets mentioned.including:

Jap desserts,tuttie frutties,pacers,mint cracknell,frys five centres,and even black anglo bubblies.

Looks like he,s onto a winner with this idea .Wish i,d thought of it first.

What about Waggon Wheels - when they were really big. Not like the teeny things you get these days.

Used to love Floral Gums, bought by the quarter from a big jar on the top shelf. Little muti-coloured sweets they were, so you used to get loads weighed out into a paper bag.

Cheers, Jas

yes was probably munchies.

You can still buy full size waggon wheels I think - as well as packets of biscuit size.

Anyone remember a wonderful cake shop on Abbeydale Road called Gregories? they had amzaing vanilla slices and 'ice tarts' which were a small bakewell tart with thick icing. Forget to check if it was still there in August last year