How do you handle criticism?

Try smiling and just nod alot. If it is work related it might help you do something better. If its personal think about the persons motives. If they are your friend they are probably trying to help if they are not then it does not matter.

Try to be around positive people. Negative people make you the same. I dont like criticism but I wouldn't let someone see that

Just smile, nod and say "really"?

Not very well. I got slagged off recently on Forum for selling sim cards (on Forum ad page) I felt a bit upset about it, but just nodded and smiled, but did not defend myself. Afterwards I felt angry and wished I had.

I'm just sensitive I suppose

I think I have some of your traits too draggletail. Thinking to defend myself and finding the right words to put the other person in their place ... well ... I can think what to say like 30 minutes later ...

I don't mind critisism if it's from someone I know / like / respect and feel it's coming from the right place.

Some people critisise and have no real knowledge or understanding of what they're talking about and you can just sense they're not doing it out of concern for your best interests. That ****** me off ... and thinking of a timely put down (for them) is in order.

Originally posted by Jamie

Some people critisise and have no real knowledge or understanding of what they're talking about and you can just sense they're not doing it out of concern for your best interests. That ****** me off ... and thinking of a timely put down (for them) is in order.

I get that quite often and I don't take it well. Strange as i'm not a fan of having my praises sung about too.

Originally posted by Nooka

I am like you Andy, my own worst critic! When people critisise me i usually agree, but ive learnt to not take it to heart so much as i used to.

Weird thing is, its compliments that im not very good with! If someone compliments me or says they like my work i never know what to say! I recently started painting and when someone says 'oh thats really good' I say, well its not turned out how I wanted and could be better!

lol too much of a perfectionist!

If we grow up with critisism, as adults we automatically take over where our parents left off, using negative self talk. This undermines our self image making it also difficult to accept compliments. Sure, not so for everyone but it is an all too familiar pattern. The good news is, what was learned can be unlearned.

I personally think there are different kinds of criticism both positive and negative. There is the contructive kind where, often offered by those in the teaching proffession and by friends who simply want to offer guidance, give a different viewpoint, point out things which you may have missed etc... advice which you can take or leave.

Then there is the negative sort, where people criticise for the sake of it, with no reason behind it, the "that's rubbish because it is", "youre crap because you are", those kind of people can get lost in my opinion.

On the flip side, and I think a few others have mentioned it, Im really bad at accepting praise, if anyone compliments me on something I either think theyre taking the wee, or theyre after something

Jeez... such a cynic!!!!!

:D

If I receive critisism, if it's constructive, it just fuels my determination to get things right.

However, unconstuctive critisism just gets me angry and sends me into argument mode.

Originally posted by Jamie

Apparently ... people respond much better to praise (you did this good ... you're good at that) than they do critisism (you're crap ... that's wrong).

We get critisism from people most every day ... how do you personally deal with it ?

Accept it and feel crap about yourself ?

Tell them to sod off ?

Somewhere in between ?

Prioritise!

Accept and embrace yourself!

Love yourself before loving thy neighbour!

Criticism everyday? God is dead and there is no perfect!

After all, criticism is based on the desire to be better or best!

There is always somone better at something!

There is also someone less able than yourself!

Do not forget to smile and enjoy a nice glass of wine!

I am very angry at people who criticise me all the time and it usually finishes up with a shouting match, why should I have to put up with what they decide to say to me, putting me down all the time, no way, am I going to let them get away with it and I always fall out with whoever is doing it, Male or Female.

Anyone who puts themselves into a position where they are publicly scrutinised have to be able to deal with criticism as part of their position.

This includes artists, sports men and women, politicians, writers, journalists, entertainers, celebs, businesses etc.

Handling this criticism is part of the job description and is part of the formal training some of these people undergo.

Sometimes ordinary people face public criticism such as individual police or teachers. That can be hard, I’m sure

Most people just have to deal with it through experience.

But all criticism has one thing in common. It is all based on an opinion, well informed or not.

You can take it or leave it. If you are sensitive then it can be hard to take. Suggestible people often find criticism hard but are more likely to react positively if it is constructive. Different strokes.

But politicians - including councillors - are there to be criticised - its part of the process we call democracy. If people didn't object and present an argument, then decisions could never be made effectively.

It’s just natural that the critics might be less informed - but that's what we call the opinion of the man on the street. And guess what... ...that, in political term, is what it’s all about.

Personally I love criticism. It gives me something to get my teeth into and I give as good as I get. But there’s no shame in admitting that you’re wrong. I’m often wrong. And I reserve the right to change my mind.

Its called communication and its what makes this country pretty good in my opinion.

Criticism from people you love, however, now that’s a whole different kettle of fish.

Preachy bit:nono::

If you can’t take it, take care when you dish it out – you reap what you sow.

And discretion is the better part of valour, compassion is a far greater quality than honesty and those who believe otherwise are usually insecure - think about it.

Offering praise, in all circumstances, is actually also a reflection on ones self and it can feel pretty good when you mean it. We should all do it once in a while. It can be embarrassing to accept it at times, but it’s often remembered fondly and definitely builds bridges.

If you don’t agree with me then talk to the hand. :D

Originally posted by Mr_E

Preachy bit:nono::

If you can’t take it, take care when you dish it out – you reap what you sow.

And discretion is the better part of valour, compassion is a far greater quality than honesty and those who believe otherwise are usually insecure - think about it.

Offering praise, in all circumstances, is actually also a reflection on ones self and it can feel pretty good when you mean it. We should all do it once in a while. It can be embarrassing to accept it at times, but it’s often remembered fondly and definitely builds bridges.

If you don’t agree with me then talk to the hand. :D

Good preaching there Mr_E :D

A lot of folk don't appreciate critisism is about self-esteem. Mostly one person enhancing his/her own by attempting to reduce that of others.

If it's part of your job (and as a parent it always is) to get people to do better, always use encouragement/praise to establish your interest in their improvement before getting down to the nitty gritty of how it can be achieved.

I agree with Mosher- theres two sorts of criticism.

1) "Oh yeah good point I aint thought of it like that" that you take on board and learn from.

2) Or where someones just being snide.

Trouble is it ain't always as clean cut as that is it?

If you wanna spare someones feelings one thing i got taught at work was a "s**t sandwich". You praise, you criticise, you praise. That way you start and finish on a positive note and said person is more likely to go away thinking about what you've said rather than go away thinking you're a nazi.