How do you handle criticism?

Apparently ... people respond much better to praise (you did this good ... you're good at that) than they do critisism (you're crap ... that's wrong).

We get critisism from people most every day ... how do you personally deal with it ?

Accept it and feel crap about yourself ?

Tell them to sod off ?

Somewhere in between ?

Be around better people. I don't get critisism most every day... hardly ever in fact.

I am my own worst critic. I analyse everything that i do. I lose sleep over it, thinking about who I am and what I have done. It's not good at all, I really do have trouble sleeping because every night I have to think about what I've done and how people may react to what I have done. The one good aspect of this, is that when someone one criticises me, i've already noticed the fault myself. I think i have every fault of mine logged, and i'm on the case sorting them out. So, it;s rare that anyone offends me by criticism, because i'm usually already aware of it.

Somewhere in between. Spometimes I know that it's valid and then I give myself a talking to and sort the problem out.

I do take criticicism badly on occasion, and am still a little apt to jump to the conclusion that people are criticising me when they're just making an observation.

Perhaps those times I feel that there IS something there in my behaviour that's debatable.

And then I get Jim, my old friend, my old automatic assault rifle, claimb to the top of the University Arts tower and wait....wait....wait..... ;-)

Joe

Like most people I think - sometimes I can take criticism and sometimes I can;t.

Depends how I feel at the time and how the feedback is given

A good manager shuold be able to feedback so that it never upsets and always leaves the person feeling better and with a way out.

I once received the following advice...

take all criticism on the chin

if you agree - do something about it and make some changes

if you don't agree - go out of you way to demonstrate the opposite behaviour to change their perception of you. You may enjoy the change and end up agreeing with them!

Praise and reward should apparently exceed criticism by 4:1.

I once worked for a manager who never praised , said she didn't think that it was a good thing. As you can imagine the environment was tense and the staff morale was lower than low.

I am like Andy - I have already over analysed my faults and eithe raccept it or bite depending on my mood...female thigns and all that.

Moon

I am like you Andy, my own worst critic! When people critisise me i usually agree, but ive learnt to not take it to heart so much as i used to.

Weird thing is, its compliments that im not very good with! If someone compliments me or says they like my work i never know what to say! I recently started painting and when someone says 'oh thats really good' I say, well its not turned out how I wanted and could be better!

lol too much of a perfectionist!

Originally posted by Andy78

I am my own worst critic. I analyse everything that i do. I lose sleep over it, thinking about who I am and what I have done. It's not good at all, I really do have trouble sleeping because every night I have to think about what I've done and how people may react to what I have done. The one good aspect of this, is that when someone one criticises me, i've already noticed the fault myself. I think i have every fault of mine logged, and i'm on the case sorting them out. So, it;s rare that anyone offends me by criticism, because i'm usually already aware of it.

Are your sure you aren't me? I'm exactly the same.

People should need to admit their own shortfalls before pointing out other people's.

Originally posted by Trekker

People should need to admit their own shortfalls before pointing out other people's.

Yep ... I completely agree Trekker.

I look at my own shortfalls all the time and inspect and analyse myself. It can at times be painful but I also think that the pain is a good motivating force for change and improvement ... so that's cool.

When I'm dancing with someone and they're doing something that is very not right and could be improved ... I always give it a lot of thought if to mention it or not ... and how to word it.

I think critisism can be very disheartening ...

i get praised a lot more than critisised. If i get critisised by the same people over and over then i do get angry and upset. otherwise i mostly laugh about it or try to adjust the way i am because of it :)