Sign in to follow this  

Council Tax

Wonderiing if anyone knows more about this than i do as i have a bit of a problem.

i live in a house with 3 students and myself (working full time). i understand students are excempt from council tax and i would have to pay my "share".

The other day got a bill for £810 for the house.I phoned the council and they told me i would be responsible for 75% of that bill!!!

How can this be right or fair?

Anyone got any ideas??

As you are working and living alone you qualify for the single persons discount of 25%,even though you have students living in your house.

Best thing to do is contact the council asap.

yeah, that's right. you can also pay by monthly installments.

This is why the Council tax is so unfair!!

People living next door to you could have four people who all earn twice as much as you yet they would pay the same amount with the bill split between four of them!!:loopy:

When i was a student is was generally acceptted that if you lived with a "non-student" the whole house had to chip in for the Council tax. Maybe you should try some negotiating!;)

As for the Council tax i think it should be based on how much a person earns, like income tax, instead of the value of the property you live in.

the thing is i thought that there wouldnt be a problem as it was rented as a student house so not to worry aobout for now.

Problem is i didnt even give them any details one day i had a bill with mine and my girlfriends name on it yet i hadnt given them any details the landlord did.

Was a bit p**sed off at that but according to the council he is allowed to do that.

The council were about as helpful as a kick in the face seemed like a good idea but they stick to there 25% discount.However i can pay them on a monthly basis which is one thing.

Just thought now though as im only renting a room and not the whole house would that not make any difference to my amount.Cant move as im under contract and live with the missus so the situation seems like i have little option but to pay it.

Any lawyers ,Solicitors or the like if you have any suggestions would be nice

cheers

there's no comeback really. The single person discount is 25%, either the students you're with chip in, or move out. It's scandalous, but there's no way round it

It might be cheaper if you both signed up for single modules at the uni and got student cards.

AFAIK, only full time (15hrs/week+) students are exempt from council tax. Yes it's unfair, but council tax is charged per house, not per person...

You could try this as quite a clear and straightforward explanation (after all, it was written for students like me :P ) Council Tax