XP Service Pack 2

Interesting to note that at the moment Microsoft are advising their employees that they will not be updating their corporate infrastructure to SP2.

Originally posted by Martin_s

What MS have mucked up is that they haven't communicated exactly what the service pack does properly.. or more accurately the media haven't... They just scream.. Ooh look, more security without explaining the implications... and let's face it people don't use firewalls, have their systems owned in a matter of days and bingo, spam, trojans and DDOS's prevail..

Actually, it's not days, it's 20 minutes on average.

Originally posted by sanman

Interesting to note that at the moment Microsoft are advising their employees that they will not be updating their corporate infrastructure to SP2.

No, they're installing Linux instead!

Anybody successfully installed SP2 yet?

I have had mega probs for the last couple of weeks since I tried to install it. It downloaded successfully (or so I thought) even though it took 6 hours. Then tried to instal but cos it had failed to download all components it just jammed up. I couldn't get into the computer at all and it cost a fortune to get somebody to sort it.

Starting from scratch with a fresh installation of XP is a nightmare having to set everything back up again and get all the updates on AV and Windows again.

Am I likely to have a better experience trying to instal it on cd or shall I give it a wide birth for a time incase they iron out the problems it seems to be causing?

I have installed it and had no problems (so far), I do have broadband though, not sure I would have attempted it on dial up.

It took me probably about 1 hour.

Can you get the CD? sounds like a better option.

Originally posted by Mo

Anybody successfully installed SP2 yet?

Yes... I've been installing the BIG 80gb patch that's used by systems administrators for Home and Pro versions.. So far haven't hit any problems at all, and that's with over 30 machines patched..

I have had mega probs for the last couple of weeks since I tried to install it. It downloaded successfully (or so I thought) even though it took 6 hours. Then tried to instal but cos it had failed to download all components it just jammed up. I couldn't get into the computer at all and it cost a fortune to get somebody to sort it.

Erk, that can't have been fun...

Starting from scratch with a fresh installation of XP is a nightmare having to set everything back up again and get all the updates on AV and Windows again.

Am I likely to have a better experience trying to instal it on cd or shall I give it a wide birth for a time incase they iron out the problems it seems to be causing? [/b]

Well I've not had any problems this end and a fresh install is less likely to hit any issues than an in use one... In fact if you're starting from scratch you'd do well to take a peek here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?postid=169727#post169727

That might help you avoid a lot of heartache and unncessary expense in the future..

i had some connection issues with SP2.

it reported that my lan or broadband connection had limited or no connectivity when there didnt seem any problem to me.

other than that i definately suggest it as a good thing.

however i was lucky enough to dwnld it in mins.

We're on Broadband and installed it no problem.

Had no problems either since.

Installed it on both machines at home no problem (downloaded via broadband) and had no issues with it since. But I have turned off all the new security stuff coz I already had a router with built-in firewall plus Norton AntiVirus and AdAware. We've installed it on machines at work and again no issues there.

Looks like it's just me then. I wonder if the fact that i'm on dial up has anything to do with it as you all seem to be on BB?

It's not just you at all MO. I visit several forums and on each one there are loads of people having problems with sp2!

I have'nt installed it yet, infact i have'nt even ordered it yet!. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks and then order it from Microsoft. By then most problems will have been figured out and hopefully the disk's that are sent out will be updated.

Do'nt forget to make a restore point before installing :)

Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 is given away on Octobers edition of PC Plus, if you cant or dont want to download it.