XP Service Pack 2

Like you said, it's all down to the mentality of the users. I personally believe that PCs are too complicated for most. They were originally business machines and the architecture hasn't changed. They can't understand the concept of individual components to say the least.

PC re-sellers are also to blame, bundling in basic or no anti-virus software. Most thrown in Norton AV but that only runs for three months.

I've installed it, takes ages and monkeys around with your settings, but worth the pain I think. I don't use IE for surfing (I use Firefox) but pop up blocking is long overdue in IE as is a Windows firewall. The wireless support seems to be a lot more robust, which is a good thing.

We had a few issues with some of the software we write at work, but it didn't take long to overcome them, and the rollout to the Sheffield office was succesful.

I just downloaded it, Ill slipstream it into my copy of XP Pro sometime at the weekend, and next time my machine needs a good clearout and fresh windows install, I might give it a try.

I have installed XP SP2 on both machines at home as have a couple of colleagues. We've also put it on one test machine in the office. The only problems encountered were one guy found it conflicted with his existing firewall software at home and the wireless network drivers were iffy. I found it couldn't detect my existing firewall and antivirus so I had to disable the whole new security bit which rather defeats the purpose.

I'd say not to install it unless you're technically competent to overcome problems like that on your own. Otherwise leave it till Mr Gates comes up with something simpler. As someone else pointed out, there's a whole raft of free software that will help protect you.

Originally posted by slh73

I just downloaded it, Ill slipstream it into my copy of XP Pro sometime at the weekend, and next time my machine needs a good clearout and fresh windows install, I might give it a try.

According to Microsoft today, the XP Pro version of the service pack hasn't been released yet becuase of some 'issues' still to be resolved.

MS has posted a list of programs which may not work after installation of the service pack here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

Originally posted by alchresearch

According to Microsoft today, the XP Pro version of the service pack hasn't been released yet becuase of some 'issues' still to be resolved.

MS has posted a list of programs which may not work after installation of the service pack here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

WTF?! hardly seems worth the install if it breaks a list of programs THAT big... It would be especially bad for me as I NEED to use Nero 6 to burn DVDs and stuff.

Lets hope XP SP2 is compatible with Windows XP :P

Originally posted by alchresearch

That's only the HALF of it!

This list is of programs that do work but require modification:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

Not to be slightly amazed here but the whole basis of that knowledge base article is that the firewall WORKS!!

It's a firewall, the whole point is that it stops un-authorised stuff going out as well as it stops stuff going in... So of course it's going to stop FTP clients, games that use the net, etc... until you've configured the client properly.

The fact that windows firewall is dire at best is moot...

What MS have mucked up is that they haven't communicated exactly what the service pack does properly.. or more accurately the media haven't... They just scream.. Ooh look, more security without explaining the implications... and let's face it people don't use firewalls, have their systems owned in a matter of days and bingo, spam, trojans and DDOS's prevail..

So, turning around and calling this service pack a bad move or saying it "breaks" things is uninformed at best... scaremongering at worst.. It doesn't "break" things.. but it does require a little effort to reconfigure things to work with the new security.

As has been noted in the past, the use of a computer requires learning new skills and because of the script kiddies and crackers (what most people think of as hackers) we have to learn those skills fast... It's no different from using a bike.. you learn skills that keep you safe.. the good news is that you won't lose your life on a computer if you get it wrong.

EDIT: Ok... spent a little more time on this and it's a little ironic but ok.. my bad.. I've found that it does indeed break some programs.. Many, in fact that it should be supporting because they enhance the security... The points I made above relating to the firewall though still count as far as that MS knowledgebase article is concerned.

At the same time.. the other software vendors will have had a chance to work with this update and fix problems.. so it's not JUST M$.. Oh and just for the record I'm not an M$ apologist... I work on Linux mainly... :)

SP2 also, finally, has brings native bluetooth support to windows....

I'll give it 6 months before I install it, should be ok by then.