Do you eat game, and if not why not?

I have shot and eaten Grouse, Pheasant and Partridge but i was not impressed with any of it. Much prefer mans meat (not man meat) like Beef and Lamb.

I have absolutely no scruples when it comes to eating meat. If it's ever had a pulse then I'll eat it. In the last month or so, I have eaten more species of animal than you could shake a stick at including Crocodile. One thing I do find rather repugnant is the intensive farm rearing regimes we seem to have in the West. I understand that this is done to provide cheap meat for the masses but the producers' don't seem happy with vast profits from this and insist on pumping their products with large amounts of water, rendering them virtually tasteless. Game I adore, as it has lived a natural life outdoors for the duration and tastes far better for it. The only problem is finding you have a mouth full of shot, yuk !

Well said you hardbitten lady.

The descion you have to make with a mouthful of shot, is wether to swallow it or not.

The ladylike thing to do is to swallow it of course.

Your hosts do not want to see a load of shot on the tablecloth , now do they? :thumbsup:

The ladylike thing to do is to swallow it of course.

I'm no Lady, however, in this instance, I would defy my stereotypical image and spit it out. :thumbsup:

I quite enjoy plucking a pheasant or two, removing the innards, and then jointing them for a tasty casserole with onions and red wine. Pheasant tastes far better when cooked in a casserole - as roasting tends to dry out the meat.

I've eaten partidge, but as the bird is so small it's better served as an entrée before a main course.

I've yet to try pigeon. You rarely see on the menu at restaurants. The last time I did see it on a menu, I ordered it, only to find the waiter saying "It's off tonight!" :mad:

Venison is quite a rich meat. Again, I find it tastes best in a casserole.

I adore rabbit. I've posted on SF before about rabbit stew, which is simply delicious.

Pidgeons, you only cut the breast off. You need a lot, but they make a lovely pie with mushrooms. With all this trouble with turkeys, we may be glad of game.

And yet, 4 & 20 blackbirds baked in a pie was once staple diet for the masses.

Black birds being crows n that :thumbsup: innit :D

Sorry, the 4 and 20 were in fact Rooks and not Blackbirds, the young ones being taken from the branches of the trees before they fledged usually around May the 15th IIRC. I've had Rook in a pie with beef and bacon, it was luvverly.

Sorry, the 4 and 20 were in fact Rooks and not Blackbirds, the young ones being taken from the branches of the trees before they fledged usually around May the 15th IIRC. I've had Rook in a pie with beef and bacon, it was luvverly.

rooks, crows, same family, whatever - I never said they were blackbirds

do learn to read

Quails are nice as an appetiser. Again, like pigeon, not much meat and a bit fiddly.

Pheasant is a lovely meat but seems to be few and far between - veal seems to be more readily available. I guess the expense puts people off?

Chatsworth Farm Shop has a good selection of game and the butchers there will advise on cooking etc.

I've never had pigeon, I think because when I think of pidgeons I think of the dirty disease ridden ones in town :hihi: and I have a bunny so if I ate rabbit I'd probably come home and have his little eyes looking at me in a 'You ate my brother' way, hahaha. I have had deer fairly often though, and I love it. I've also tried squirrel which was actually really nice, a very delicate flavour.

Pheasant is a lovely meat but seems to be few and far between - veal seems to be more readily available. I guess the expense puts people off?

Pheasant is seasonal, and the season's just finished but we got some last week at £10 for 2 brace, that works out at £2.50 a bird and each one serves 2 so it's really not expensive. We also get packs of 6 pigeon breast fillets for 3 quid and that's plenty for 2. Chatsworth tends to be a pricey option, you're better off looking for a village butcher with a game licence.

Is there any decent licensed game butcher in Sheffield?

I've had;

venison, pheasant, pigeon, guinea fowl,, rabbit, partridge and enjoyed them all, being particuarly fond of venison.

Only reason I don't eat more is cost.