I don't normally get a kick from the suffering of other human beings...

If the police had the right to dish out summary punishment, then myself and a good proportion of Sheffield would assert the right to beat the crap out of police attempting to enforce it, on the basis that they were abusing that power. As they would. I would never attack a copper generally, but a rule like that is asking for trouble.

All you would do is make the streets much more dangerous for police.

After posting this do you think anybody will have the slightest interest in any opinion you post in future?

You have just shown yourself to be no better than any chav/robber/rapist or paedophile.

I ought to say that I am opposed to corporal punishment on ethical grounds. And I am comfortable with the data that backs up my position. But I'm damned if I can find anything conclusive, and I've been looking all morning and all afternoon

What, the same ethical grounds on which you base this statement: ???

myself and a good proportion of Sheffield would assert the right to beat the crap out of police attempting to enforce it
You're a confused puppy, aren't you?

And I am comfortable with the data that backs up my position. But I'm damned if I can find anything conclusive, and I've been looking all morning and all afternoon
Which I suspect means you don't have any data to back your argument up, but you'll be happy to believe anything you come across.

After posting this do you think anybody will have the slightest interest in any opinion you post in future?

You have just shown yourself to be no better than any chav/robber/rapist or paedophile.

Tsk, tsk, Normon. Anyone would think you're Bartfarst under an assumed name with a reactionary knee-jerk response like that!

I ought to say that I am opposed to corporal punishment on ethical grounds. And I am comfortable with the data that backs up my position. But I'm damned if I can find anything conclusive, and I've been looking all morning and all afternoon.

ethics are all well and good to have and i'm sure most people have ethics, unfortunately most violent criminals dont have many, if any ethics

if they did Rapists wouldn't rape

Child Molesters wouldn't molest

and people who beat up and/or rob the old and/or infirm wouldn't do it

Tsk, tsk, Normon. Anyone would think you're Bartfarst under an assumed name with a reactionary knee-jerk response like that!

I don't think that was either knee-jerk or reactionary in response to somebody expressing his desire to 'beat the crap out of coppers' for doing their job.

I don't think that was either knee-jerk or reactionary in response to somebody expressing his desire to 'beat the crap out of coppers' for doing their job.

Let's look at the context shall we? Gypsy was posting in response to the suggestion that you made to the effect that you'd like to see police officers able to assault the public as they choose.

Do you not agree that this would be disastrous in terms of the public relationship with the police and that it would lead to more and not less violence? To equate Gypsy Hack to a rapist or paedophile for pointing this out is outrageously poor behaviour as well as being illogical.

Let's look at the context shall we? Gypsy was posting in response to the suggestion that you made to the effect that you'd like to see police officers able to assault the public as they choose.

Do you not agree that this would be disastrous in terms of the public relationship with the police and that it would lead to more and not less violence? To equate Gypsy Hack to a rapist or paedophile for pointing this out is outrageously poor behaviour as well as being illogical.

We disagree - and I suspect this will be a common occurrence.

I wasn't saying the Police should be able to 'assault the public as they choose'. I was saying they should be able, when appropriate, to issue summary physical punishment on yobbos. Hardly a rare wish.

For GypsyHack to express a desire to 'beat the crap out of coppers' is beneath contempt, and does - in my most humble opinion - lump him very clearly down with the undesirables I quoted.

I assume in writing that statement, you intended it as a question.
Well... uh-huh

Well, first of all I didn't say in relation to violent crime. Please read my post again. I said I don't condone criminal violence, but do condone corporal punishment.
I'll accept that point, but please go back and edit your post for clarity. There's one or two grammatical typos which make it simple to mis-interpret.

1. I, and many of my fellow pupils at school, keenly avoided the cane, the slipper and the gym rope because they really bloody hurt. Detention? Just a free session of daydreaming. Pain followed by the same at home? An effective deterrent.
I may be only 24, but I grew up in South Africa, where corporal punishment is so prevalent that a school rugby team was beaten for losing a match.. A lot of us got beaten by the Headmaster. Didn't make any difference to our behaviour. I'm not asking you to accept my word as fact, I'm just pointing out that personal experience doesn't equal evidence.

I had an individual who wasn't responding very well to discipline at work a few years ago. All of a sudden he became very compliant and helpful; coincident with having two black eyes and a sore abdomen. I was a little concerned and enquired as to his physical condition - his sergeant had no idea how the injuries could possibly have appeared, and the lad himself could not recall, but he was cured overnight.
I'm confused as to the specifics of the situation. What point are you trying to make?

3. One of my cousins was being bullied at school. I had words with the bully, and his friends, and through swollen lips they apologised to my cousin the next day, and switched from bullying him to protecting him. A combination of pain, and fear of further pain, worked.
I have been through a very similar situation myself, but it is irrelevent. The fact that me and the kid who bullied me had a fight has no bearing on the general rights and wrongs of our penal system.

4. I also have a number of friends and acquaintances who are serving or ex-Policemen. They remember the days when they could give a vandal a good hiding, and it did work – largely because back then the parents would side with the local bobby.
And of course, said police would give an entirely objective view of proceedings... come on, I asked for evidence. Not hearsay.

If Norman is Bartfarst, he's doing a hell of a job of hiding his animal intelligence.

We disagree - and I suspect this will be a common occurrence.

I wasn't saying the Police should be able to 'assault the public as they choose'. I was saying they should be able, when appropriate, to issue summary physical punishment on yobbos. Hardly a rare wish.

Summary physical punishment on yobbos / Assaulting the public as they choose.

Is it just me that reads these two sentences as meaning exactly the same thing?