I don't normally get a kick from the suffering of other human beings...

Ask yourself the question if it was your daughter or wife would you be showing any sympathytowards these low lifes, NO.

Yes, i would have sympathy. Justice is not dealt by the hands of thugs.

Well bully for you pal. Well done.:thumbsup:

I admire you for being able to be the bigger person, personally I'd wish them a long, slow, painful death.

Except that it doesn't. This is vengeance, not justice.

It is a form of existential justice, of the kind where the baddie in a film ends up falling into a vat of white hot metal, or is shredded by a threshing machine. No tears are shed, despite the absence of due process.

I would also like to put in a good word for vengeance. There is a moral case for punishment for its own sake (i.e. because the criminals deserve to suffer), not as a form of rehabilitation or simply to remove criminals from society. This should apply, in particular, to violent and heinous crimes.

So saying your daughter/wife/mother gets brutally raped by these guys, you live every day with them and watch them going through the mental torture, have to lay in bed at night listening to them screaming whilst having a nightmare about it, they wont let you even touch them as they are too traumatised, there life totally changed as its screwing them up, some of them committing suicide as they cannot live with the fear, you can honestly say you would sympathise with these guys, did they sympathise with any of their victims? I know people shouldnt take the law into there own hands, but when the justice system lets the victims down then as far as im concerned they deserve all they get. At the end of the day they are cowards. I know if it was my daughter i wouldnt be sat there saying "poor guys didnt deserve that" i would put them on my christmas list

It is a form of existential justice, of the kind where the baddie in a film ends up falling into a vat of white hot metal, or is shredded by a threshing machine. No tears are shed, despite the absence of due process.

I would also like to put in a good word for vengeance. There is a moral case for punishment for its own sake (i.e. because the criminals deserve to suffer), not as a form of rehabilitation or simply to remove criminals from society. This should apply, in particular, to violent and heinous crimes.

And how do we ever break the cycle of violence if we allow vengeance to be a response to crime?

i put this on a thread earlier this week,last saturday night an idiot was walking on our road & decided to start punching car windscreens ,a local tough nut was having a smoke outside his home result idiot sparked out. for me i call that a good result punishment fitted the crime imo ,if you call the tune then dance to it

And how do we ever break the cycle of violence if we allow vengeance to be a response to crime?

'cycle of violence'? Surely you can come up with a better cliche than this Halibut?

The purpose of vengeance is not to break this 'cycle' (if cycle there is), but rather to punish the offender.

I happen to think though that severe punishment will have a deterrent effect, even though this is not the primary purpose of vengeance.

Over the years i have seen and exp a lot of terrible situations.Early on in life i was quite shy and kind of inside myself.My thoughts on things have changed greatly and in my opinion certain people who inflict pain and suffering on others and show know remorse deserve only one thing.Sticking to "the rules" is great but they only work one way in my opinion.Believe me some of these so called human beings deserve everything they get.

'cycle of violence'? Surely you can come up with a better cliche than this Halibut?

The purpose of vengeance is not to break this 'cycle' (if cycle there is), but rather to punish the offender.

I happen to think though that severe punishment will have a deterrent effect, even though this is not the primary purpose of vengeance.

Never mind cliche, LordC, it's a valid and serious question; violence is cyclical by nature - call it a cliche if you will, but it does't detract from the truth that violence begets violence.

If you believe that treating violent people to liberal measures of violence is a recipe for diminishing the amount of violence within society, then I'd have serious concern about your intellect.

Never mind cliche, LordC, it's a valid and serious question; violence is cyclical by nature - call it a cliche if you will, but it does't detract from the truth that violence begets violence.

If you believe that treating violent people to liberal measures of violence is a recipe for diminishing the amount of violence within society, then I'd have serious concern about your intellect.

I think a lot of the problem is violence can breed violence.Living in a so called rough area "attercliffe" many years ago a lot of the kids had a really tough upbringing.A lot were beaten has kids and quite a few turned to violence and crime as they got older.On the other side of the coin tho the folk took care of there own and dealt with things how they thought appropriate.I hate violence but as a parent i personally will do whatever is needed to protect my family and friends from anyone.Sorry if of topic.

But I believe also that what seperates the rest of society from men like that is that we can deal with our difficulties without resort to violence.

Yes, we can. Which is why the system incarcerates them rather than hanging or other forms of torture.

However, the offenders DO NOT LEARN. How often do we read about habitual offenders, or rapists who go out and rape again?

It's all very well having a civilised system, and it does work - I got into trouble in my youth, did a very little bit of time and it scared me straight - but some see it as a doddle and a roof over their heads for a while until they go out and do it again.