Solicitors you would recommend for conveyancing? Megathread NO QUOTES

A word of advice... certain mortgage lenders don't like it if you use small solicitors practices with one partner (as a very local solicitor named above is). The practive contracts out some of the work to get past this loophole to another city firm! So they're not necessarily paying all their attention to your matter!

Also, I'd like to point out that you reallly do get what you pay for with conveyancing solicitors. My pal has had to call Haybrooks to find out information on his purchase! They were the ones who told him that the sellers had sent to contracts to his solicitors. Small practice named above denied they had them. Poor pal had to make an appointment to see them for progress to get their shop for them to say 'I can't advise you, I'm not a solicitor."

A word of advice... certain mortgage lenders don't like it if you use small solicitors practices with one partner (as a very local solicitor named above is). The practive contracts out some of the work to get past this loophole to another city firm! So they're not necessarily paying all their attention to your matter!

Also, I'd like to point out that you reallly do get what you pay for with conveyancing solicitors. My pal has had to call Haybrooks to find out information on his purchase! They were the ones who told him that the sellers had sent to contracts to his solicitors. Small practice named above denied they had them. Poor pal had to make an appointment to see them for progress to get their shop for them to say 'I can't advise you, I'm not a solicitor."

You do not know what you are talking about looby hitch. The work is not contracted out to other solicitors all that happens is the drawing down of mortgage funds from the firm which if anything means that more attention can be paid to that particular matter!!

Also quite rightly, if the person was not a solicitor they could not advise as one as that would be bad practice.

Burton Burton Ho leeds - did 2 house sales in 5 weeks - they chase everyone daily and they are really **** hot and on the ball

http://www.bbho.co.uk

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. We decided to go with Tofields in the end. Good price and the recommendation here helped, cheers.

Bell and Buxton, Telegraph House. Perfect

Nooooooooo, don't recomend Toefields at all, bad experiance, they held our chain up for weeks, they don't like talking to other solicitors in the chain.

Being the first time buyers solicitor they tried to blame the other solicitors for holding the chain up, but what the didn't know - we were all talking to each other and knew the truth. . . . :(

Can anyone recommend a good conveyancing solicitor in the sheffield/rotherham area. Competitive price and good service obviously.

Michael Ward,Hillsborough-out of town hence no big overheads,does not delegate work to junior staff and scoop profit,you deal with him directly and not through third parties.For £100k prop,charges £400 plus VAT,and £130 Land Registry fee.I am not on comission.

Note that most of the Bill's elements will be the same no matter which firm one uses. These are fixed items such as these:

1. PRELIMINARY

Local Authority Search/Enquiries

Water Company search

Coal Mining Search

Environmental Search

2. PRE-COMPLETION

HMLR search (or Land Charges search)

Bankruptcy search [if mortgage completed]

Bank fees for CHAPS

3. POST-COMPLETION

Notice fee etc. to freehold reversioner

SDLT to HM Revenue & Customs

Registration fee to HM Land Registry

Nick Elliot at Norrie, Waite and Slater has just done a great job for us.

Nick Elliot at Norrie, Waite and Slater has just done a great job for us.

Yes they were recommended to us by our bank, i think we might go with them maybe.