It's a bit quiet at the moment, but cast your mind back a few weeks to the constant barrage of extremely loud explosions that went on every day and night either side of Nov 5th, Xmas and New Year. The RSPCA is supporting a Bill on 28th Feb to control the sale of fireworks. Please visit

http://www.rspca.org.uk/fireworks where you will also find a link to fax your MP asking for their support.

I'm most certainly going to support this campaign. Around the time of last Bonfire night, I was supposed to be studying for my mock exams but you see my attention was diverted by the pained whimpers from my dog who was absolutely terrified of the fireworks. I had to break off from my work so that I could hold him in my arms to stop him from shaking. It's absolutely terrible that fireworks should be allowed when they cause such disruption for our animals. I thought we were a caring nation of animal lovers? :shock: Well if we are, then its time this campaign was supported. There's no need for fireworks to be that loud.

I will support this campaign, as it is disgracefull that we have to put up with this awfull noise every time some idiot has got an excuse to annoy and distress everyone else. The old people, the animals,those with a nervous disposition and some poor souls with heart trouble, sometimes till the early hours of the morning. There should be legislation to stop this idiotic pratice immediately, it is not little children who are guilty of this, it is adults who should know better. Again, it is sheer bloody mindedness these numbsculls enjoy spoiling others quiet and they think it is a big joke. They should be rounded up and put in the cells for the night/s, where they can shout for all they are worth and no one can hear them. :evil::twisted:

fireworks should be banned unless its an organised event like at don vally. i love cats aswell

Thanks for the support, f-g do you still want guitar lessons?

Originally posted by "f_g"

fireworks should be banned unless its an organised event like at don vally. i love cats aswell

I have to say I think this is the right way to go....perhaps have it so that you beed special permission to use them.

Tighter controls of fireworks look likely after the Government agreed to consider new laws.

I totally agree that something should be done but honestly can't see it being enforceable. If my memory serves me right those 'bomb' like fireworks were banned a couple of years ago but they still went off last year. How do you stop people buying say from the internet? Also can you imagine how difficult it would be to catch anybody setting fireworks off illegally. The police often do not make visits to victims who have experienced much more serious crime so I'm sure that they wouldn't bother about fireworks.

Banning fireworks at their source wouldn't be too hard, would it? Stopping shops selling fireworks would be reasonably easy to enforce while fireworks being delivered over the internet could be picked up as their contents (as I understand it) are detectable. It is all down to available police time, though. Like you say, Mo, the police are stretched enough dealing with more serious crimes. Initiatives to remove the easy ways of getting hold of fireworks (ie., shops) would be helpful, though, as I suspect many people setting them off are basically opportunists and wouldn't bother if getting hold of fireworks was too much hassle.

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbials here but I do not think that fireworks should be banned at all.

however, i do agree that display quality fireworks should be only sold to registered firework display teams.

The government can control the manufacturers (of which their arent that many) and who they supply to. A certain quality of firework can be made available to the public and display ones on restricted supply.

The difference being, public sale can be limited to

visual only - any size

bangs and whistles - limited to an audible limit i.e. say up to 80decibels.

display team fireworks

up to any size dependent on local authority granting a license for such a display.

Keeps us irresponsible adults happy and also you pet lovers - Yes?

:D

What was with the fireworks at about 4:30 this morning ???? :shock:

Does anyone know why about 100 fireworks were let off at about 4:30 AM this morning which kindly woke me with the panic that we were being bommed !!!

Originally posted by "Big Ben"

What was with the fireworks at about 4:30 this morning ???? :shock:

Does anyone know why about 100 fireworks were let off at about 4:30 AM this morning which kindly woke me with the panic that we were being bommed !!!

Never heard a thing. What area in Sheffield? :shock: