Which were your favourite acts at the Mojo

1 saw the Steam Package ( Packet?) with Baldry, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger Trinity and maybe Rod Stewart as a backing singer. Am I correct or has Age taken it's toll?

Well done Geoffrey old friend.Your memory hasn't let you down although it was packet not package.I remember you going berserk at school after seeing Pete Townsend play there with the Who.You wouldn't shut up about him.Of all the regulars who played there John Mayall's Bluesbreakers were my favourites, and of the ones who occasionally played there I liked Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames.Of the one offs it had to be Hendrix.

You lucky soul - I would have loved to have got to the

Mojo but I was too young.

I attended "Down Broadway" but was told it just did not compare.

I remember my parents considered the Mojo to be a den of sin !!!!

But I used to hang on to every word of the older brothers and sisters of my mates who went to the club as they described the sounds and the live artists they saw there.

I am a big Small Faces fan - did they ever perform at the Mojo ?

Yes the small faces did play at the mojo and if you go onto http://www.steelcityscooterclub.co.uk website onto the forum ,then the general board and under the heading " one for tony " there is a jpeg of the original poster advertising it .

Well done Geoffrey old friend.Your memory hasn't let you down although it was packet not package.I remember you going berserk at school after seeing Pete Townsend play there with the Who.You wouldn't shut up about him.Of all the regulars who played there John Mayall's Bluesbreakers were my favourites, and of the ones who occasionally played there I liked Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames.Of the one offs it had to be Hendrix.

Hi Glyn

Yes I do remember seeing the Who. Maybe it was all those pop art posters we made in art class. I also remember a band called MR. SMITH AND THE SOMEPEOPLE or something like that. They were not a bad group if not a little strange - as their name suggests. Anybody else see them?

I used to go to the Mojo all the time. Memory fails as to how many bands I've seen but as well as all the local bands I remember Spencer Davis with Stevie Winwood. he was only 17 at the time but just as gorgeous then as now. There used to be 2 or 3 rows of bench seats at the front which my friend and I always used to make for. It was easier to catch the artists eye that way. Does my memory serve me well I am sure we used to drink orangillo. As for the den of sin, well it passed me by

Hi All my name is Tony Morgan....lived at the Mojo although was only about 15 when first went. Also used to go to Esquire Friday night and all nighters at the Wheel also String o beads Dungeon Nite Owl etc etc

Small Faces def best 'white band' at Mojo Stevie fantastic saw them loads of times at Mojo + Hendrix who blew us away!!

Any Mods still out on scooters?? If so Steel City Scooter Club meets Thursdays Royal Standard could do with some old Mods down there as I feel like everyones dad!!

I used to go to the Mojo all the time. Memory fails as to how many bands I've seen but as well as all the local bands I remember Spencer Davis with Stevie Winwood. he was only 17 at the time but just as gorgeous then as now. There used to be 2 or 3 rows of bench seats at the front which my friend and I always used to make for. It was easier to catch the artists eye that way. Does my memory serve me well I am sure we used to drink orangillo. As for the den of sin, well it passed me by

Don't remember bench seats at the Mojo?? Certainly were at the Esquire!!

Which were your favourite acts at the Mojo ? I liked a lot of acts that I saw there e.g Georgie Fame,Geno Washington,Alan Bown Set,Graham Bond,Zoot Moneyand lots more!My favourite singer from that time though and his voice was just unbelievable was Billy [Fay Boy] Stewart ! What a waste of talent to have died so young ! Can anyone remember groups like Amboy Dukes ,Love and Confusion ? They say that if you lived through the Sixties ,you find it hard to remember them!I just know it was such an exciting era with something new happening every week!

Is that Phil Brodie the lead guitarist from Love and Confusion? If not I was with all the band members a couple of months ago at a reunion of some sixties old folks!!

It was the Small Faces. The Faces didn't exist until 1970, by which time the Mojo club was long gone. In fact, the Small Faces played their first ever gig at the Mojo. .

Sorry to "Burst Your Bubble" GEDDIT, but this is a bit of an urban myth. The Small Faces had been playing gigs for a while without real success but one night in Sheffield they played at a working mens club near the Midland station/Queens Road area and got thrown out without finishing the set. The band were on the verge of quitting the business but saw mods queuing to get into the ESQUIRE CLUB, spoke to the manager and played a set that night.

The rest is history.

Fourth member at that time was Jimmy Winstone who was replaced by Ian McLagen a few weeks later when Don Arden took over the management.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Sorry to "Burst Your Bubble" GEDDIT, but this is a bit of an urban myth. The Small Faces had been playing gigs for a while without real success but one night in Sheffield they played at a working mens club near the Midland station/Queens Road area and got thrown out without finishing the set. The band were on the verge of quitting the business but saw mods queuing to get into the ESQUIRE CLUB, spoke to the manager and played a set that night.

The rest is history.

Fourth member at that time was Jimmy Winstone who was replaced by Ian McLagen a few weeks later when Don Arden took over the management.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi Andy

You are absolutely right pity though I would only be 56 or 57 if they in fact hadn't have started until 1970 rather than 60 this year!! Hey old Mods never die!!!.....Hopefully not before 80 anyway!!

Tony

Hi Andy

You are absolutely right pity though I would only be 56 or 57 if they in fact hadn't have started until 1970 rather than 60 this year!! Hey old Mods never die!!!.....Hopefully not before 80 anyway!!

Tony[/QUOTe

Sorry Andy miss read your response!! Old age and senility creeping in....but you are still absolutely right about The Esquire. Mojo Tuesday + Thursday Esquire Friday Wheel for Allnighters Saturday unless there was one at the Mojo!!

sorry tony there definately were benches at the front when I used to go 1961/2/3/4. never went to the esquire though. club 60 was the other venue I frequented.

[Tony[/QUOTe

Sorry Andy miss read your response!! Old age and senility creeping in....but you are still absolutely right about The Esquire. Mojo Tuesday + Thursday Esquire Friday Wheel for Allnighters Saturday unless there was one at the Mojo!!

Hi Tony,

Mojo, Twisted Wheel and Dungeon allnighters. Do we know eachother? I'm a couple of years younger than you but same scene same time.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful