Which were your favourite acts at the Mojo

Sorry Dobsons wasn't in Fitzalan Square but cannot remember where it was, I know it was opposite the market where I had to go and collect bacon and egg butties and whelks for the blokes.

Wasn't old enough to drink but never had a problem getting in.

No alcoholic bar at the Mojo so no problems for anyone. I was 15 when first went and saw the Move smash the stage up. Life changing experience when I realised that rock was more exciting than soul.

The original post asked about best bands we had seen, obviously everyone goes for Hendrix, Floyd or one of the names that later became huge but at the time everyones favourites were the Small Faces and Alan Bown Set.

Something that always struck me was the live sets for the "pop" bands were SO different to their hit records. Usually much heavier, blusier and true R & B, not the crap you hear today.

Most memorable night was Procul Harum just as " Whiter Shade of Pale" had entered the charts. Nobody was allowed in unless they had a flower. The park opposite was demolished in the rush.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Sorry Dobsons wasn't in Fitzalan Square but cannot remember where it was, I know it was opposite the market where I had to go and collect bacon and egg butties and whelks for the blokes.

Is that why you never turned up for work Northlass??

No alcoholic bar at the Mojo so no problems for anyone. I was 15 when first went and saw the Move smash the stage up. Life changing experience when I realised that rock was more exciting than soul.

The original post asked about best bands we had seen, obviously everyone goes for Hendrix, Floyd or one of the names that later became huge but at the time everyones favourites were the Small Faces and Alan Bown Set.

Something that always struck me was the live sets for the "pop" bands were SO different to their hit records. Usually much heavier, blusier and true R & B, not the crap you hear today.

Most memorable night was Procul Harum just as " Whiter Shade of Pale" had entered the charts. Nobody was allowed in unless they had a flower. The park opposite was demolished in the rush.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi Andy

Did you know any of the people I listed from Esquire?

Cheers

Tony

I remember Roger Howe!He kept a boutique behind the Peace Gardens - it was called "Lift up Your Skirt & Fly".He took the name from a song by John's Children called "Desdemona".I often used to dance with Roger at the City Hall & in fact had a couple of dates with him around 1968.I believe he then went into the bathroom trade,selling stuff from somewhere on Carver Street & the last I heard,he was living in America.

Do you also remember Tony Sandford & Dick West?

I saw drifters -with ben e king!!!!! he was on the same bill and stringy tried to get them to sing together of course ben e king had no idea of the lyrics as he had been gone a long time from the drifters -johnny moore the only remaining original drifter was gob smacked!i also saw fatboy stuart several times his acrobatics belied his girth!i ended up on stage with ike and tina smashed out of my brains.soul sisters were good and garnet mimmsalso even stevie wonder and his orchestra but looking up at him balanced on that little stage and seeing his eyes rolling about was weird -about 10 people fainted cos of the heat that nite. vibrations were really good jnr walker etc who i saw again at the wheel on my 17th birthday.when the king mojo went flower power i saw the move ,pink floyd for 5shillings even helped take the drummer off the stage as he was still drummingabout 5 mins after the rest had left the stage .jimi hendrix was brilliant ,me and mate talking to him but all he wanted to know was who had some dope!saw alvin cash and the crawlers but that was at the wheel.

hi yes i remember boggy marsh went to the states,john ward, killer,john remington ,t bear died about 15 years ago i was told.tony sandford -remember him winning the big mojo dance contest?seen him acouple of times last about 5 years ago.paul peroz iis still selling flowers etc. down the bottom of the moor. tony morton left england long time back 1990s after his son was run over by a bus. steve beardsmore runs a van hire firm near hillfoot bridge

hi yes i remember boggy marsh went to the states,john ward, killer,john remington ,t bear died about 15 years ago i was told.tony sandford -remember him winning the big mojo dance contest?seen him acouple of times last about 5 years ago.paul peroz iis still selling flowers etc. down the bottom of the moor. tony morton left england long time back 1990s after his son was run over by a bus. steve beardsmore runs a van hire firm near hillfoot bridge

Yeah know all them Talk soon cheers Tony

Do I know you,Roggert?Were/are you tall with glasses & a really good dance,often wearing Lvis/Lee Riders & a denim jacket?

Hi Andy

Did you know any of the people I listed from Esquire?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

No, must have been a different crowd. I know a Tony Morton from school but he is a teacher in Sheffield.

I went to school in Pitsmoor and hung out at Lane Top and Firth Park Bowl.

Someone mentioned Plug and his odd scooter. Think he must have changed it cos I knew him when he had a Vespa.

I have tried to get Stringfellow to go along to the Small Faces convention held every September, seeing as he knew the band so well but must be a different scene for him now. Don't think he was ever that interested in the music, just money...and of course the women.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi Tony,

No, must have been a different crowd. I know a Tony Morton from school but he is a teacher in Sheffield.

I went to school in Pitsmoor and hung out at Lane Top and Firth Park Bowl.

Someone mentioned Plug and his odd scooter. Think he must have changed it cos I knew him when he had a Vespa.

I have tried to get Stringfellow to go along to the Small Faces convention held every September, seeing as he knew the band so well but must be a different scene for him now. Don't think he was ever that interested in the music, just money...and of course the women.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

Hi Andy

What's your surname I'm sure we must know each other. I knew a Tony Morton at Firth Park Grammar he was a year or 2 older than me??

By the way are you sure you saw the Move smash up the stage at the Mojo and not THe Nice??

Cheers

Tony

You're right about Stringfellow...too minty for us lot!!

Hi Andy

By the way are you sure you saw the Move smash up the stage at the Mojo and not THe Nice??

Cheers

Tony

You're right about Stringfellow...too minty for us lot!!

Definitely the Move, Christmas '66. "Night of Fear" had just been released and they filled the stage with old TV's which received the hammer and guitar treatment.

Saw the Nice late '67 at City Hall supporting The Move/Hendrix etc. That gig is well documented elsewhere so won't go into detail here.

See your PM's

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful