What do Buses smell of?

try changing your pants now and again I find one pair a day stops the smell.:hihi:

HaHa yeah thats no way to talk to a lady :hihi: :hihi:

The worst smells I encounter on buses, at any time of day or night are tobacco and cannabis smoke. This is usually on the top decks of double deckers.

:hihi: hehe call me a druggy but i quite like the smell of cannabis (not that I'd ever smoke it:cool: )

But tobacco certainly smells terrible and i totally agree that smoking on buses should result in a nice boot up the bum showing the perpetrator to the door :D

It annoys me how people consider smoking canabbis to be completely legal :huh: especially around my district where people just walk around with massive spliffs in their mouths...

On 08/02/2007 at 14:44, slimsid2000 said:

As a regular user of this city's fine public transport network I cannot help having noticed that often there can be certain aromas to be discovered inside our buses.

What type of smells have you noticed on buses?

If you are talking about the old musty smells that older public transports usually have as well as common in museums particularly those with ww1 and 2 machinery it could be Cosmoline which is often assosiated with the smell of History and nostalgia not so come now with rapid upgrades in transport and rail systems which now have sometimes have that unbareable new car smell which is commonly assosiated with travel sickness and sharp smell or pain as it hurts the nose

I made a note to a conductor on one of the trams that there was an wee odour. I didn't see that tram for a week and was pleasantly surprised that it no longer whiffed.

Ever since the smoking ban, buses have had the aroma of a mountain spring. No need for the 'Spitting Prohibited' signs anymore. The only pollution now is of the aural variety. I get off when I see a beplugged pair of ear holes get on.

I am blessed with a sensitive nose.  😷 I also use public transport regularly.  Very occasionally a person can infest a bus with unpleasant odours. Stale smoke, b.o., wee, unwashed clothes and the overpowering small of deodorant or cheap scent which doesn't mask the lack of washing.

Keeping clean must be difficult for anyone who is homeless. But having grown up in the days of flannel washes between weekly baths, whats anyone else's excuse these days?

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Guest busdriver1

To answer the original question. 

Buses smell of an amalgamation of the passengers who use them. 

Short of making all passengers take an odour test prior to travelling there is little that can be done. 

Yes buses are cleaned on a daily basis and any with strong odours are deep cleaned but then they go out and get the same people on again.

43 minutes ago, sarahmarri7 said:

If you are sitting most back seat of the bus then sure you will get some backward smell which you cannot bear If you are alone....

So if you're with somebody it becomes bearable ?      😂

On 06/06/2019 at 08:10, Ms Macbeth said:

I am blessed with a sensitive nose.  😷 I also use public transport regularly.  Very occasionally a person can infest a bus with unpleasant odours. Stale smoke, b.o., wee, unwashed clothes and the overpowering small of deodorant or cheap scent which doesn't mask the lack of washing.

Keeping clean must be difficult for anyone who is homeless. But having grown up in the days of flannel washes between weekly baths, whats anyone else's excuse these days?

My thoughts entirely.

As a kid it was a bath once a week, in a zinc bath, which hung on a nail on the outside wall of our terraced house, in front of the Yorkshire range.

It would often involve being washed in wash powder!  

In between times, it was a case of putting a plastic bowl down on a towel and part-filling with hot, then adding cold, water.  I'd stand up in the bowl at 6am in the morning, washing myself with a flannel.  

I've never gone out smelling stale or being unclean.  I just cannot understand that.  

I see even less reason for it thesedays, when everyone (just about) has access t o hot water.

13 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I've never gone out smelling stale or being unclean.  I just cannot understand that.  

I see even less reason for it thesedays, when everyone (just about) has access t o hot water.

Depression.  Poor hygiene is one of the signs.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Depression.  Poor hygiene is one of the signs.

yes I can understand that.

GIVE THEM ALLFREE BARS OF SOAP,thats what will be the next request from some