The Beautiful South have split

I am really gutted :( but not really that surprised, i thought that they would be splitting up in the next couple of years or so. Im sure they feel as though they cant go any further. Paul will be back with something im sure.

They've been around 18 years!!! 10 studio albums......That is longevity :)

No Paul used to write with Dave Rotheray. They were also a partnership/cooperative which is quite unusual for a band. This means that they shared all the royalties equally between ALL the band members regardless of who wrote the song, something that most do not do.

Actually there are lots of bands who do this, it is one way that a band can stay together for many years.

I used to love the Beautiful South, me and feargal used to follow them all over teeny tiny venues.

The all of a sudden, middle aged couples started liking them, for all the wrong reasons (we saw a couple gazing into each others eyes, singing along to "We Are Each Other" - totally missing the irony of the situation). That alone wouldn't have been so bad, but it seemed as though they then started writing their songs to appeal to that auidence! They ended up SO middle of the road it was untrue.

Anyway. That's my twopenneth. I still fancy the arse off Paul Heaton though, even if he does support the wrong team.

Very sad Liars bar what a top drinkers song.

Actually there are lots of bands who do this, it is one way that a band can stay together for many years.

I did not know this.... examples please :)

Doesn't U2 do that? Not certain though.

Paul Heaton was in The Housemartins ('Happy Hour', 'Caravan of Love' etc from around 1986).

Was dave hemmingway also a member of the housemartins?

i'm sure he played drums & backing vocals.

Black Sabbath, Blur, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, The Doors, Foo Fighters, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Gomez, Gorillaz, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Incubus, Interpol, Jane's Addiction, Marillion, Mastodon, Motorhead, Pulp, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Reef, Supergrass, Terrorvision, Van Halen.

And slightly less democratically, other bands have "given" credit to less or un productive members.

e.g.

The beatles liked to give Ringo a song on each album

When Wham split up George Michael gave Andrew Ridgely half of Last Christmas as a parting gift. Which pays him the kind of salary an MP gets every single year.

The Doors QUOTE]

Who gets Jim Morrisons share?:confused:

Craig,

when people die and their work continues to generate money, then they either have a will, or their next of kin or the government gets their earnings.

Without the benefit of the details of the late Mr. Morrison's will, I can't be more specific.

No doubt when you grow up you will understand these things more clearly.

P.S.

Have you heard of a gentleman from Liverpool called John Lennon ?

he died before you were born but he wrote lots of good songs which still make lots of money, so much money in fact that he would probably be richer than richard branson, Eminem, and everyone in the top ten put together.

The Beautiful South were one of those bands you couldn't really get passionate about, but it was kind of reassuring they were there. You wouldn't make an effort to listen to them, but neither would you turn your radio off when one of their songs came on.

The Beautiful South were one of those bands you couldn't really get passionate about, but it was kind of reassuring they were there. You wouldn't make an effort to listen to them, but neither would you turn your radio off when one of their songs came on.

I disagree, his whiny voice, was often very annoying.

And their songs were tedius and lacking in variety.

I disagree, his whiny voice, was often very annoying.

And their songs were tedius and lacking in variety.

Have you heard liars bar certainly not like anything else they did and definatley not whiny :)