England 0 spain 1

West Ham were relegated with Michael Carrick in their side

What of it? As I recall that side also had Defoe and Joe Cole in it, being relegated doesn't automatically stop them being damn good players.

and he was far from outstanding in his time in the Championship as I remember.

So? He was still young then and his game improved a lot at Tottenham

He's got some talent, there's no doubt about it. But he also has a heart the size of a pea.

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

On another point made on the thread, England don't have world class players. That is just press hype. We simply do not possess the level of technique needed to compete. We do not produce skilful footballers.

McClaren, though inept, is a scapegoat. If players cannot perform the basics of passing a football and moving in to space then it doesn't matter if you have a coaching team of Cappello, Lippi, Mourinho, Scolari or whoever: failure is inevitable.

Nonsense, England have a small number of truly world class players, in whom I'd include Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Owen (though he is rather limited), Rooney and maybe Lampard and Gerrard. And a collection of extremely good players, (Neville, Terry, Carrick, Hargreaves, Joe Cole...) we lack a bit of depth upfront and don't have any truly top class keepers, but we have plenty of players who should be more than good enough to be top of our group that we aren't is primarily McClaren's fault.

English players clearly can 'perform the basics of passing a football and moving in to space' we know this because they do so week in week out for their clubs. They just seem to lose this ability when McClaren is managing them.

It's your argument that's pathetic not Tottenham.

And I suppose it's just a coincidence that the team Carrick joined has got better, particularly in the midfield area where he plays and that the team he left have got much worse, particularly in the midfield area where he played for them :rolleyes:

Don't strawman me, I never said Carrick was the sole reason just that he is a very important one for Tottenham's marked decline and a significant factor in United's considerable improvement this season.

ffs ...... i never said he hadnt improved you slightly or he made spurs worse .. i just said i didnt believe that was the sole reasons

the whole point of my arquement was that i dont believe (and only my opinion) that carrick is especially good and that man u could get alot better (hargreaves for example).

Dont get so defensive just cos somebody doesnt rate a man u player

for instance, crouch would be better in a sort of utility midfield role i think, almost like a viera role instead of this 'lets hit him with a longball and hope his weak header dribbles in'. johnson and rooney upfront

Apart from them both being quite tall just how do you figure Crouch and Viera are similar players?

barton carrick defensive midfield, barry out on the left, lennon on the right

bridge, woodgate, p.neville back 3

foster in goal.

3-5-2

Now this is just beyond insane you want to play a striker in midfield leaving out both Gerrard and Lampard and to have a back 3 consisting of one central defender an attacking fullback and a holding midfielder :loopy:

Such a bizarre system may work in whichever management sim you play but would be a complete and utter disaster in real life.

no gerrard ...... what a load of .........

i agree with everything else but carrick over gerrard .. dont think so

What? You agree with playing Crouch in midfield and only one central defender along side an attacking full back and a holding midfielder at the back :loopy:

If that's the case it's hardly surprising you consider Gerrard a better defensive midfielder than Carrick :rolleyes:

Apart from them both being quite tall just how do you figure Crouch and Viera are similar players?

Now this is just beyond insane you want to play a striker in midfield leaving out both Gerrard and Lampard and to have a back 3 consisting of one central defender an attacking fullback and a holding midfielder :loopy:

Such a bizarre system may work in whichever management sim you play but would be a complete and utter disaster in real life.

agree ... he must have been taking the mick cos that sytem with them players is just laughable

What? You agree with playing Crouch in midfield and only one central defender along side an attacking full back and a holding midfielder at the back :loopy:

If that's the case it's hardly surprising you consider Gerrard a better defensive midfielder than Carrick :rolleyes:

no .. agreed with system but not players ...... sorry ..didnt explain that very well ... was flabergasted with team selection

ffs ...... i never said he hadnt improved you slightly or he made spurs worse .. i just said i didnt believe that was the sole reasons

the whole point of my arquement was that i dont believe (and only my opinion) that carrick is especially good and that man u could get alot better (hargreaves for example).

Dont get so defensive just cos somebody doesnt rate a man u player

So you didn't 'ere ere' mikeyspikey calling Carrick rubbish earlier in the thread or anything then?

So you didn't 'ere ere' mikeyspikey calling Carrick rubbish earlier in the thread or anything then?

oh come on it was just to basically say i dont rate him that highly ..... ok i agree he isnt rubbish but i also think there are alot better players out there in that position than him ..... surely u would agree with that

no .. agreed with system but not players ...... sorry ..didnt explain that very well ... was flabergasted with team selection

SO you agree with the system that none of our players play in with their clubs and which was a disastrous failure when tried with a more reasonable team selection against Croatia?

oh come on it was just to basically say i dont rate him that highly ..... ok i agree he isnt rubbish but i also think there are alot better players out there in that position than him ..... surely u would agree with that

Name a better fit English one.

i notice how u state fit :hihi: does that mean i cant say hargreaves because u know he is better ?????

what does it matter if he is not fit ... he is better and wont be injured for much longer

And why name english .... ok for the english team but for man u who could buy most players ..... there are alot better players than carrick IMO

you know as well as i do mate ... when hargreaves is fit along with gerrard and fat lampard ......... carrick does not stand a chance of getting in the england side ....... unless u become manager that is