Huntsman gardens school.

A great big thanks Hillsboro for the link to the photo posted earlier. That is my(was) my dads shop on the coner of Shirland Lane and Britnall St. I have been searching for a snap for years. Pity it was after the shop closed but great to be able to see his name up there. If any one should come across anymore photos please let me know.

regards Tony Crookes

Hi Shinysheff

I lived at 13 Britnall St and frequented your dad's shop on a daily basis. I have printed off the photo you refer to as it also shows a good view of the street as it was then. What I find is truly amazing is that the previous owners of the shop ( Renshaws ) son who on this forum is known as Madsnail lives in Perth, Australia. Unfortunately I have been unable to make contact with him to talk of the old days.

I am in regular contact with the guy who lived at 21 who remembers your shop well.

Cheers

Ron

hi shiny chef i lived on brinsworth st.used to go in the shop everyday.to and from school.think harry was a proper old school shopkeeper.used to wear the old apron nd stuff.

Hi everyone. Brilliant stuff. I lived on Titterton Street and went to Huntsmans 1950 to 1955 ish! Then onto Hatfield House. Remember going to Crookes shop - that pic is great. My name is Margaret Haywood and I have a younger sister called Julie and a cousin called Tommy who was a bit older than me. I remember Esbergers (Sandra I think) on Francis Street. Brilliant to get keep in touch with anyone who remembers us...

The Esbergers I believe lived at 22 Britnall St., which was at the corner of Francis St.

I lived at 13 Britnall St.

Yes, thats right! What's your family name then Rondonc?

The name is Fletcher, but I left HG in 1948 to go to the Sheffield Tech. Do you remember the Baileys on Britnall St? The only lad I knew on Titterton St. was Ralph Birchenough, did you know him?

do ya no mr adams and mr cross adams lad had a mg car lived on britnall st

Hi Rondonc, remember some Fletchers living in Titterton Street but no details. Same about the Baileys and Birchenoughs. It like someone was saying on a previous thread that your circle of friends are so different just within a few months of age. You went to Sheffield Tech after then? Bit clever then? !!!!

I remember going to the skating rink on Zion Lane and then the dancing and rock groups upstairs above the rink. Remember sometimes going in Cutlers pub at bottom of Britnall Street but that wasnt often - we didnt seem to bother with booze in our teens!!!

Hi B..w...b, No cant remember Mr Cross or Mr Adams.... I wouldn't be fussded about an MG car then....!! What memories you got of Attercliffe then?

Hi Tangerine

Believe it or believe it not Gerald Bailey and I had a drink in the Cocked Hat a couple of weeks ago! I was showing him the new housing development in the Britnall St. area.

We are also due to meet up with Barrie Wragg who lived at No.25 Britnall St. Barrie had a sister called Jennifer. Did you know her?

We used to drink sarspirilla at the herblist on Leeds Road for our kicks:-)

Haaaa!!!! Sarsprilla at the herbalist near the library!! Me and a couple of my friends used to get all dolled up just to sit in there for 15 mins!!

And about the Cocked Hat. I have just found out it is closed. My husband died four years ago and we held his wake in there cos our families lived on Titterton Street till they were demolished so Attercliffe was our stomping ground!! Anyway, when we went in there that day (the last time I ever went in) amongst the pictures on the walls was a collage of photos, one of which was a photo of my husband's granddad (he was a coal-man who lived on Shirland Lane and this photo was a very old one of him with a horse and dray.

I always said I would ask if I could get a copy and as usual, time passes by. Just thought about it recently and found out it closed!! As you were down there recently, did you notice if it is up for sale cos I might be able to track down the vendors. How old would Barrie Wragg be now then, Rondonc?