Al Gore in Sheffield

Don't waste your money, you'll just fall asleep, he's the most boring politician there is.
Maybe we need a little more boredom right now. Anything else is not working for us under Dubya

Don't waste your money, you'll just fall asleep, he's the most boring politician there is.

its more of his monotone voice then anything else.

he at least has a sense of humor about it all though. hes been on futurama a few times.. well his head has

I don't think you have seen many politicians speaking live. I went to the Al Gore event - and he was one of the best public speakers (if not the best) I have ever seen.

David Blunket was there and "not slim" Prescot

Just another failed politician evangelising about global warming, - we have Tony Blair for that.

Anyway the US contributes 25% of global CO2 emmissons compared to the UK's 2%,- so why come preaching here ?. He should be strutting his stuff in India, China and Russia :hihi:

I am glad to see him putting climate change on the public conscientious,although hes a democrat and I support the american republican party I am fully behind him on this issue.

This is one area where the Bush administartion hasnt done enough in the past although I think we are seeing A SLIGHT change in policy now.

Go for it Al.

Just another failed politician evangelising about global warming, - we have Tony Blair for that.

Anyway the US contributes 25% of global CO2 emmissons compared to the UK's 2%,- so why come preaching here ?. He should be strutting his stuff in India, China and Russia :hihi:

actually one of the main reasons why gore was chosen as Clintons VP was because he stands (well stood) on a very green platform and would fair well with those democrats who felt not enough was being done (the late 80s/early 90s in the US saw a very big trend in being environmentally friendly and it was good politics to have others around you who were)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore%27s_views#Environment

While a Representative, Gore co-sponsored hearings on toxic waste in 1978-79, and hearings on global warming in the 1980s.[49] While a senator working on his book Earth in the Balance, Gore had traveled around the world on numerous fact-finding missions. During Gore's tenure as Vice President, he was a proponent for environmental protection. On Earth Day 1994, Gore launched the worldwide GLOBE program, an innovative hands-on, school-based education and science activity that made extensive use of the Internet to increase student awareness of their environment and contribute research data for scientists.

In the late 1990s, Gore strongly pushed for the passage of the Kyoto Treaty, which called for reduction in greenhouse gas emissions [50] [51]. However, many of these proposals were not enacted by Congress, and/or were not implemented to the satisfaction of critics such as Ralph Nader.[52] In 1998, Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia wrote Resolution S. 98 that opposed ratification of the Kyoto treaty, and in turn the Senate voted 95 to 0 against the treaty.

In recent years, Gore has remained busy traveling the world speaking and participating in events mainly aimed towards global warming awareness and prevention. His Keynote presentation on global warming has received standing ovations, and he has presented it at least 1000 times.

Gore is a vocal proponent of carbon neutrality, buying a carbon offset each time he travels by aircraft.[53] Gore and his family drive hybrid vehicles.[54]

Beginning in the fall of 2006, Al Gore and a team of renowned climate change scientists and educators will train more than 1,000 individual volunteers to give a version of his presentation on the effects of – and solutions for - global warming, to community groups throughout the U.S. The presentation and training program are based on the message Gore has been giving for more than two decades, which inspired the documentary film and book, An Inconvenient Truth.[55]

Along with Canadian Inuit activist Sheila Watt-Cloutier, Al Gore was nominated for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to draw the world's attention to the dangers of global warming. [56]

It was full council meeting today, so there was no chance of my getting to this event. :sad:

Cllr Jan Wilson, leader of the council, and Cllr Mary Lea, Cabinet member for the Environment, were there. I'm sure they'll be telling us all about Gore's keynote speech when we next meet up. I've heard briefly on the grapevine from someone who was at the Sheffield My Planet event that Al Gore was an excellent speaker.

I was there yesterday, managed to get tickets through the Uni. All the speakers were very inspiring, it was a great event, just a shame that more people couldn't have attended. I was very glad to see some of the recent developments included in the presentation, i.e. European car manufacturers objections to capping car emissions per km as proposed by the EU.

I think it would have opened peoples eyes to the world of climate change in a way not frequently portrayed by the media, as AG said, 800 odd peer reviewed articles in scientific journals supporting the idea of climate change, 0 articles disproving the idea of climate change.

Media stories regarding climate change, about 50-50 proving and disproving... can you see the difference!? No wonder there is so much confusion surrounding this issue.

Hear on Radio Sheffield last night that Al Gore praised Sheffield's strategy on tackling climate change. Brilliant that we hosted this event and a real boost to our green agenda.

I managed to get a ticket. It was pretty good - Al did the same talk as in the film with a few more jokes and some more up to date information.

John Prescott ("Al's friend") turned up and Blunkett went on about how Sheffield was the first city to use combined heat and power.

He also went on about how good the public transport was (in the 70's)...

If you watch the BBC news vid -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/news/index.shtml

When he talks about Sheffield, look carefully - you can see a certain goose in the audience

Just had a quick look at that. I was a bit shocked to see many empty seats. It's a real shame, I would love to have gone (if only to heckle David Blunket if he really did try to claim our public transport was great).