Lizzie the Elephant

any body got any information about Lizzie the elephant who worked for wards brewery in the first world ? thanks sue

Was Thomas Wards Steel works linked to Wards Brewery as I have information she worked for the Brewery as well and I have a photo of her at Kelham Island - since I am not a Sheffield person was Kelham Island part of Wards or was she loaned out?

thanks

tommy ward's elephant was stabled in bedford st at tomlisons funeral place. or so i was told, there was a large arched entrance big enough for the elephant to go in.

my dad said that the elephant lifted the steel bars at wards.

he lived acrooss the rd on bedford st as a boy and said the elephant knocked his front teeth out, but i learnt afterwards that it was done when he worked down the pit by a pit donkey that pulled the wagons of coal. he said they came up from the pit only once a yr.

Many years ago I had to do some training at Ickles works in Templeborough.

I noticed the loading bay surround was the exact level as the large lorries that backed in for loading.

The drivers could walk on and off the back off their lorry backs easily.

I remarked to one of the old hands how handy this was.

He replied, Oh! It's nothing to do with the lorries, it was built like that so that Lizzie could back into the bay and the steel bars could be easily unloaded from the specially built cart that the Elephant pulled'.

Happy Days!

Edited by PopT

Unless there were two such elephants in Sheffield your ‘Lizzy’ was actually called Daisy and (I think, not sure) was owned by Thomas W. Ward’s

the link doesnt work so if u go to picture sheffield and type in "elephant" into the search the pics of lizzie come up.

My great grandfather Herbert Hancock was in the photo, he is the one with the cap standing next to the elephant.

well according to my husbands nannan that is her dad/grandad, they have pics of him, are you related?

I don't know, what are their parent's names? I descend from Herbert Hancocks daughter Sarah Harriet who married a Joseph Walter Struggles.

i have no idea, i will find out 2morrow, but she is a Street now, but dont know her maiden name, i will post 2morrow and let u know. :)