Railway Sleepers How to prepare & Where to buy

Hi

Just wondered if somebody could tell me whats best to do for prep of railway sleepers, I will be using as retaining walls, I was going to do the same as if going to build a wall by laying a foundation of concrete but then somebody said I didnt need to do that? Anybody any experience?

What is best to use to cut them a Chainsaw will that work???

I was going to drill holes through and put them over metal rod which would be concreted into foundatation.

I have seen metal girders used but prefer not to use.

I will need at least 40 which should I use, children to play in area so I suppose new treated but not the old reclaimed creasote ones?

Anybody know if I can get bulk cheaper somewhere please.

Don' know of a supplier, but beware of old used ones as there are some environmental issues concerning creosote.

Also, if using a mechanical saw (chainsaw) watch out for embedded metalwork like nails & bolts as these could sever the chain & have someones eye out - or worse :(

Actually, looking at ebay there's a supplier in Folkstone but you'd have to contact them regarding delivery.

Have you tried Ron Hull of Rotherham, they do recycled timber - I'd have no idea if they do railway sleepers though :thumbsup:

Don't use recycled ones - besides the creosote, do you know how train toilets flush? :gag:

When purchasing, consider that the hardwood ones would last longer, but are more expensive

there's a place at woodhouse mill, just past the traffic lights if you're heading out of town, that sells them - they can deliver too I think £16 each if I remember correctly

Used sleepers have become harder to come by since a contract was awarded to incinerate them for power (or something constructive ;) )

Thanks for your comments I found some info on foundation required concrete from a website that seems very useful for all sorts of building/diy tips called wwwpavingexpert.com

I have been to a few places today it seems I can get them for £18 each including delivery because I need about 40 although the new ones seem to be softwood. I can either get them from a supplier opposite sitwell arms at eckington or quarry top garden centre at eckington either way both same price. Found some other places but more expensive.

Spoke with a bloke who can chainsaw them into sizes I want, but I have to decide if I hire one myself or buy a petrol one.

Hi,

We've built retaining walls with new and reclaimed sleepers. If children will play or sil on them definately do not use reclaimed. The creosote is toxic and they have a tendancy to seep tar when it it hot.

Using a chainsaw on new sleepers is fine they're about £50 a day to hire. plus large deposit, chain oil etc. If you can get someone to cut them for you for this sort of price, I'd advise it.

Rather than drilling a hole through the sleepers, try this: Using long peices of re-bar (steel re-inforcement bar). Once your sleepers are in place, using big club hammer, drive into ground (at least a third of total height of wall) directly behind the sleepers so the bar will sit flush to the stack of sleepers and will be also firmly in the ground. Use 6' nails to secure the bar to the sleepers, by bending the nails back on themselves around the bar.

New sleepers are very flat, so shouldn't wobble anyway, but this will stop them moving. Also once back-filled with soil, will be very sturdy.

If the wall is 4' or more, I'd recommend you don;t use sleepers as it will be very expensive and not that attractive. It would be worth getting a builder in to give you a quote for a brick/stone wall.

If under 4' you won';t need footings unless your soil is loose.

Hope this helps, if you need more advice let me know.

There's a place on the main rd at Renishaw, nr the Sitwell arms that has both old and new sleepers.

Hi,

We've built retaining walls with new and reclaimed sleepers. If children will play or sil on them definately do not use reclaimed. The creosote is toxic and they have a tendancy to seep tar when it it hot.

Using a chainsaw on new sleepers is fine they're about £50 a day to hire. plus large deposit, chain oil etc. If you can get someone to cut them for you for this sort of price, I'd advise it.

Rather than drilling a hole through the sleepers, try this: Using long peices of re-bar (steel re-inforcement bar). Once your sleepers are in place, using big club hammer, drive into ground (at least a third of total height of wall) directly behind the sleepers so the bar will sit flush to the stack of sleepers and will be also firmly in the ground. Use 6' nails to secure the bar to the sleepers, by bending the nails back on themselves around the bar.

New sleepers are very flat, so shouldn't wobble anyway, but this will stop them moving. Also once back-filled with soil, will be very sturdy.

If the wall is 4' or more, I'd recommend you don;t use sleepers as it will be very expensive and not that attractive. It would be worth getting a builder in to give you a quote for a brick/stone wall.

If under 4' you won';t need footings unless your soil is loose.

Hope this helps, if you need more advice let me know.

Thanks Outsmart, really useful advice. My OH suggested using them for retaining walls, but I think we might use something else now.

anyone know a place to get big planters made from new railway sleepers?

I don't have any soil or beds, just lots of pots in large cobbled yard, which is labour intensive to water in summer.

I've had 3 big green planters made at WORK on ringinglow Rd, which are great but rather than have more of the same I would like something heftier and chunkier, in natural wood colour.

Hi

You can make your own planters from railway sleepers either old or new ones I bought mine from mtrack and got some screws from ebay. I can send you his contact details if you want.

I used a circular saw to cut through it took two cuts one on one side then turn over and cut again, I only cut new ones though not sure about old ones you dont know if any metal or anything in them. I spent hours looking at the pictures on this website for ideas but I didnt buy from them as more expensive.

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/Customers%20ideas,%20photos%20and%20projects.htm

hope it helps

yes thats the company didnt realise they had a website.

I bought new ones that were treated not like the old style which shouldnt be used in kids areas.

I think I padi £20 each I know I got them a couple of pound cheaper each because I had about 40.