Candow Street Attercliffe

My gran was called Emma Bellamy she lived at no 14 candow st, she lived there up to about 1968,

hello lynnielass

What was your great grans name?

My grandmother lived in the bottom house in Candow Street for many years. She died there in 1939.

Her name was Liza Dickinson.

Wain

Hello Wain, My great gran`s name was Blakeman! I know this sounds really silly but i never knew her first name! She was always referred to as `little nanan wi black stockings` !!!! as you can gather she was little and always wore black stockings. lol. She was blind too i seem to remember. My Aunts that lived down there were Kathleen, Great Aunt Rose ,Dolly, and the name trixie seems to ring a bell but i can`t be 100% on that. I`m sorry i don`t remember any other names

Hello Lynnielass

I do not remember your great gran but do remember your great aunt Rosie. I remember she had very dark hair and rosie cheeks, she was very nice and always cheerful.

I lived in that bottom yard for the first six years of my life until my father was killed in 1940 and then we moved to Hansworth.

Nobody had any money but that neighbourhood had a rich tapestry of life. I have always felt very blessed that my formative years were spent there.

Wain

Hello Wain, Yes I remember Great Aunt Rose as being very jolly. My Dad always spoke of her with great fondness.. If my memory serves me well ( which it probably won`t) My Great Gran was in the Salvation Army. I suppose you had the outside lavvies too!!! and that very designer toilet roll... you remember the one with the writing on lol Oh m goodness the youngsters today would not believe that.

can any one remember the devilles or the hutchinsons off candaw or ardmore street

Hello Wain, Yes I remember Great Aunt Rose as being very jolly. My Dad always spoke of her with great fondness.. If my memory serves me well ( which it probably won`t) My Great Gran was in the Salvation Army. I suppose you had the outside lavvies too!!! and that very designer toilet roll... you remember the one with the writing on lol goodness the youngsters today would not believe that.

and of course the difficulties having to bend over a mirror to read the headlines... Lol lol lol

Barry Hutchinson of Candow street played football for Chesterfield football club in the late 1950's

Welsh girl did you live next door to the Davenports,on one side and Wathall's on the other side to you.

l lived in candow str fom 1947 to 1962 i knew most people in the street the gills, the meagans, the birches, the johnsons, hutchingson, smiths had some times in that street great times

Edited by chavey42

Hi, my great-grandad was Byron Heselwood he lived at 48 Ardmore st Attercliffe, just wondering if anyone had any info on the Heselwood family, my grandmother was Mildred Heselwood, many thanks Helen.:)

knew a few people off candow and ardmore street BRUNTS/BULLIVANTS/DEXTERS/MEDLEYS/ scrap yard on ardmore st fox house pub at top of the street, top of candow st was heselwoods shop who allso were in the scrap business think walter was one of the family

my great grandmother second mother law, owned a Grocers on Candow street, her name Was Sarah dyson, she was a widow, she has a son named John Dyson, and a daughter named Amy who married a Alfred Ford and they had a son named Percy does anyone knew of these people? and have a pic of the grocers on Candow street? as I cant seem to find it.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 23:22 ----------

Hi, my great-grandad was Byron Heselwood he lived at 48 Ardmore st Attercliffe, just wondering if anyone had any info on the Heselwood family, my grandmother was Mildred Heselwood, many thanks Helen.:)

Do you know a Lillian? alice? alfred? they lived on 37 Ardmoore st???

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 23:29 ----------

knew a few people off candow and ardmore street BRUNTS/BULLIVANTS/DEXTERS/MEDLEYS/ scrap yard on ardmore st fox house pub at top of the street, top of candow st was heselwoods shop who allso were in the scrap business think walter was one of the family

You know Medleys? what Medleys do you know? did the heselwoods shop use to be a Grocers? as my great grandmother second husband mother owned the Grocers on candow street a very long time ago, she had a son named alfred ford? and his previous wife Amy ford.......and they had a son named percy ford, and they had 6 more children and moved to 37 Ardmoore st......and re married and my grandmother and my father moved in.......on 37 ardmoore st.