Candow Street Attercliffe

hi can anyone tell me please if there was a street called gandow in attercliffe my husbands gran was born at no 43 in 1907 and lived at no 42 gandow or candow street

thank you for the map retep

It was Candow st next to Ardmore st both off Shirland lane just past the Fox house pub, they were known as canded up and hard up streets.

My great aunt used to have the little shop at the top of candow street

My great aunt used to have the little shop at the top of candow street

i remember the shop, my gran lived in the 1st yard on candow st, im sure it was called hessletines, she used to get a pitcher of ale from there at night,

Yes it was a beer off, on the opposite corner was another shop owned by Byron Heselwoods sister.

Yes it was a beer off, on the opposite corner was another shop owned by Byron Heselwoods sister.

I remember the sounds of the steam hammer from the steel works, Was Ardmore st bombed during the war, my uncle Jack Bellamy lived there after the war.

Edited by closer 88

When my grandparents married in the late 20's Candow Street was listed as both of thems address, although they lived a different numbers, I always wondered where it was.

I remember the shop was very tiny & my great aunt being quite a big lady but she was lovely, My Great Grandmother and some other aunts lilved down at the bottom of Candow Street.

hello lynnielass

What was your great grans name?

My grandmother lived in the bottom house in Candow Street for many years. She died there in 1939.

Her name was Liza Dickinson.

Wain

As you found out the correct name was Candow Street, beer off on one corner and Miriam's on the other. I remember as a child going to the beer off for vineger it was sold from the barrel you had to take your own jam jar. Yes Ardmore Street was hit by bombs during December 1940, the reason I know was that my Grandparents lived at number 11 the story from the family goes that after the dust had settled the only things standing were a glass vase on the mantlepiece and the christmas tree including the glass baubles. some of which I hang on my tree to this day.All the houses down from the Fox House Pub to no.11 were flattened.Next to no.11 was a passage which proberbly saved the other houses from going up. They then started at 13 myself I lived with my parents and brother at no.15.Ardmore Street was still standing a few years ago but alas Candow Street had gone