39 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Going to win?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Ireland
    • Wales
    • France
    • Italy

If you're on the tackled player's side, you can use your hands, but not if you're on the tackling side.

I can't find the link to the full laws, so you'll have to take the BBC's word for it!

Here you go, http://www.irb.com/EN/Laws+and+Regulations/Laws/laws.htm

Law 16 deals with rucks and has no mention of handling by the attacking side. But the BBC is never wrong so I thought I'd ask the IRB the question using their 'contact us' facility; I'll let you know if I get a response.

Here you go, http://www.irb.com/EN/Laws+and+Regulations/Laws/laws.htm

Law 16 deals with rucks and has no mention of handling by the attacking side. But the BBC is never wrong so I thought I'd ask the IRB the question using their 'contact us' facility; I'll let you know if I get a response.

My browser crashed when I went to their site :suspect: , but cheers for asking the question :thumbsup:

Well, it's all upon us now, so COME ON IRELAND! COME ON SCOTLAND!

thanks mr craig, nice to have fair play bud, good luck to scotland now, im thrilled that we beat italy

Well, it's all done now, and well done to France ........ so, the end of term report from my view ......

France

What can you say? Scintillating at times, and incredibly frustrating too. They weren't overawed by Croke Park, and the first 20 minutes there were the real difference. I can't help feeling that France never extended theirselves though. They never seemed to turn up at Twickers, but apart from that, they seemed to have the look of a 'well handicapped' horse. They were on the bridle in the first half against a determined Scotland side, and then stayed on to the desperately close finish. Their performances against Ireland (second half), and England left a lot to be desired, and although they retained the crown, their attitude could be the chink in the armour come the World Cup, or next year's Six Nations.

Ability - A; Effort B+

Ireland

So near, again. Much will be made of the Italian try when going for points (the right decision for me), the French try at Croke Park (an awful lapse of concentration), and the try in Paris v Scotland late on, but the real thing is once again, we didn't take our chances. On form, we should have had a Grand Slam, and but for 20 dreadful minutes, we would have done. It doesn't detract from the Irish disease. It's not the defeat that kills us, but the hope. There are no excuses now. We should have won, but lacked the killer blow, despite having the best side in the tournament. A monumentally poor game against a determined Scotland said it all.

Ability - A; Effort A-

England

A team in transition. Still. I honestly don't know what to make of them. England look one-dimensional, yet have backs who can play. England seem to want to have a forward based attack, but the pack just doesn't seem to be able to dominate as they have done in previous years. The way that England was utterly dismantled at Croke Park, before the recall of Mike Catt spoke volumes to me. I would never, however, write them off.

Ability - B; Effort - B

Italy

The star of the tournament. Yes, the win against Wales was controversial; yes, the game against Scotland was dreadful, but they are proving themselves as worthy opponents. Against Ireland, they caused a few heart flutters before the ball was moved around more in the second half, and their pack is becoming as formidable as Argentina.

No mean feat.

They're certainly not the naive side they were when they joined. I wouldn't back against them reaching two wins next season, though they may have stopwatches nearer to the touchline.

Ability - B-; Effort A+++

Scotland

All in all, given how dreadful Scotland were before the tournament started, you have to take your hat off to the Bravehearts. They raised their game to the point where they outkicked Wales, nearly did the same to Ireland, and held their own against France for a good 50 minutes.

In all fairness, Scottish rugby has serious problems due to money, and the ridiculous Celtic League set up, and I see no way forward. I've said before, the admirable Cusiter and Paterson aside, there is such a dearth of talent, Scotland could be heading to the abyss. One thing though, they will never give up.

That said, they pushed Ireland and France all the way. I just don't see a consistent set of players coming through.

Ability - C; Effort A+++++++++

Wales

The ultimate disappointment. I honestly thought they would gel again, but Wales have been nothing short of a shambles, save for the war of attrition against Ireland. The way that Wales have played through the tournament makes me think they deserved the controversial defeat to Italy. Bereft of ideas, bereft of forward strength, they were utterly impotent.

Chavlotte Church, Shirley Bassey, and Ruth "I sound Welsh, me" Madoc, would have been a more formidable front row.

They must be turning in their graves in Pontypool.

Ability - B; Effort - U

In sporting terms, the Italians are the winners for me (albeit with some luck), but as far as next year's competition is concerned, that's no bad thing!

Bring on the World Cup!