Yorkshire sculpture park- what's it like for walkers?

Hi

Have been looking through threads on here and saw someone mention the Yorkshire sculpture park at Wakefield.

Has anyone been?

Whats it like walking wise?

Is it dog friendly?

Was the cafe any good?

Looking for somewhere to go next Saturday where we can have a walk with dogs and have something to eat afterwards in a dog friendly place. We regularly do Rivelin, Rother valley, Shirebrook valley, Endcliffe park, Graves park etc. Want to go somewhere different so any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys for letting me pick your knowledgeable brains :hihi:

I hope to join you one of these days and i do enjoy reading about what you have been up to, so thank you :hihi:

Helen

Hi

Have been looking through threads on here and saw someone mention the Yorkshire sculpture park at Wakefield.

Has anyone been?

Whats it like walking wise?

Is it dog friendly?

Was the cafe any good?

Looking for somewhere to go next Saturday where we can have a walk with dogs and have something to eat afterwards in a dog friendly place. We regularly do Rivelin, Rother valley, Shirebrook valley, Endcliffe park, Graves park etc. Want to go somewhere different so any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys for letting me pick your knowledgeable brains :hihi:

I hope to join you one of these days and i do enjoy reading about what you have been up to, so thank you :hihi:

Helen

Hello Helen. Thanks for posting on this Group, and you are welcome to do so anytime. :)

I think your query posted here would, perhaps, be better suited to the SF Walkers Group in this instance though.

Contact Mantaspook or myself by PM if you decide to join the SF Writing Group. You would be made most welcome. :)

In the meantime, keep looking on the Group and maybe anyone who has visited the Yorkshire Sculpture Park will be able to respond more directly to your enquiry.

oops not quite sure what happened but this was meant for the walkers group i do apologise to you all :blush: very embarassed now lol is anyone able to move it or can tell me what to do.

:hihi:

I'll move it to the walking group- hang on a mo.

EDIT- there you go.

I've been there lots of times with niecelet, because she loves outdoor space and has been surprisingly interested in art and sculpture for the last couple of years (bearing in mind she's only 3). So my experiences are only of wandering at baby pace in the meadow- sorry I can't be more informative for you.

thanks medusa your a star what a prat i am lol not sure why it ended up their the poor old writers must have thought i had gone mad!!!

You're welcome- and don't worry about it (they're next to each other, after all!).

Yorkshire Sculpture Park is wonderful. There are landscaped areas, open fields, a lake, handsome old buildings, not to mention the works themselves. There is a sculpture trail which you can follow through the grounds, and big Henry Moores parked out in fields with sheep. I especially love it when the little lambs jump up on them and through the big holes. You don't usually see art in that context!

I don't actually know the dog situation. The cafe will I suspect be out of bounds, but there will probably be a pub somewhere close. Sorry I can't help with that bit.

One place that IS dog friendly is Chatsworth. Even if you don't go in the garden and house, the grounds are free to roam, are beautiful, and also have architevtural curiosities dotted about. Unless the new duke has changed the prevailing culture, dogs are made to feel welcome as fellow guests. Again, cafe will prolly be out of bounds, but if it's a nice day they will have tables outside.

A google at their respective websites should give info on whether the refreshment areas are dog friendly.

Do come out on a walk with us - we regularly have dogs out with us, and try to find places suitable for them to join in. :thumbsup:

Edit - useful site

thanks medusa your a star what a prat i am lol not sure why it ended up their the poor old writers must have thought i had gone mad!!!

Adz, don't feel at all embarassed. The SF Writing Group is famous for it's oddball's and dysfunctional contributors! :hihi:

(ps WG Members I am only kidding!):thumbsup:

The SF Writing Group is famous for it's oddball's and dysfunctional contributors! :hihi:

That's why it's easy to get them mixed up with the walkers. :hihi:

Thanks shoeshine, feel better now :hihi: now i know i am at home with all the other oddballs.

Had forgotten about Chatsworth which is silly as we tried to go the other week but didn't quite get organised enough.

Thanks for the feedback about the sculpture park it sounds lovely, will look into whether dogs are welcome or not. If not think i may have to pay a visit without the lovely doggles in tow.

My partner is not a walker in fact he hates it, is a struggle to get him to go anywhere so the walking group really appeals to me. Have just not been quite brave enough to come along to one of your walks.

Am meeting up with the pets forum on Tuesday so am hoping that will give me the courage to come along to one of your get togethers.

Will let you know :)

Thanks guys

x