How did I miss you lot? Please help me with my brambles

I think I'll just have to get down and dirty on my knees and dig the lot out. Any volunteers :hihi:

It's hard work, but I'd certainly recommend doing that. Make sure you wear really, really thick gloves though. I had to dig up some brambles in the garden, and those prickles are very sharp. They went straight through the gloves I had on.

Don't use salt, if you can avoid doing so. You'd need to use quite a bit of it, and it'd be difficult to avoid it contaminating everything else in the vicinity.

And thanks for the PM, by the way. Much appreciated :) .

Try deep root/stump killer, it's very effective on brambles, I've used it in the past and it really works.

It would be nice to think that you could get blackberries from it, but if it's the sort I'm thinking of, it just throws out tangled, dismal looking, thorny runners and never has any fruit?

Thats the one. I have leather garden gloves that I have been using today and so far the thorns haven't got me

Try deep root/stump killer, it's very effective on brambles, I've used it in the past and it really works.

Yep - I think one of the popular ones is called 'Roundup'

If you cut the long suckers back & allow them to re leaf & bud close to the ground then spray them with this systemic chemical - it takes the poison cell-to-cell down through the plant to the root.

Too many new leaves will allow the plant strength through photosynthesis (sun exposure). You could also cover the sprayed shoots with black polythene denying them light & water.

It may take several applications as bramble is indeed very stubborn but eventually you should succeed :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Don. Would a black bin liner work or does it need to be thicker?

If you're planning on using the plot for anything in the next 10 years or so, I'd be very very wary against using salt. It will leach into all of the surrounding soil, turn the place into a quagmire due to its osmotic potential, and prevent almost anything from growing there for a number of years.

A combination of black plastic, systemic weedkiller and physically weakening it over time with digging can achieve the end result without damaging the soil too.

Thanks for that Don. Would a black bin liner work or does it need to be thicker?

If you're going to use bin liners you'll have to get the decent thickness ones and use a number of layers to prevent them just getting shredded by the thorns and being useless as a result.

If you're going to use bin liners you'll have to get the decent thickness ones and use a number of layers to prevent them just getting shredded by the thorns and being useless as a result.

Yep :)

In fact just about anything that occludes light & moisture - a bit of old rubber back carpet would even work :)

Yes, I even haunt the gardening group too!

I cant help with this one but Im just letting you know that the JabberWock is everywhere.

heh heh

Yes, I even haunt the gardening group too!

I cant help with this one but Im just letting you know that the JabberWock is everywhere.

heh heh

Looks like the other half is out or resting !!:D

Looks like the other half is out or resting !!:D

Shes watching me. Glaring...

Im doing the din-dins and she wants me away from the comp and slaving over a hot stove.