Ride outs in Sheffield

depends if i can get my bloody bitch running.

this was my first post.

have a fzr400rr uk spec. she has been stood for a while due to my job and not having the time to take her out. however i did get to go for a little run the other week and all was fine. was only a short run with my son on the back so was very gentle.tried to fire her up the other day and she was not a happy bunny. very lumpy and not on all cylinders . i have spent all today changing the plugs, draining the old petrol from tank and filter. put fresh petrol in and tried her. no joy. took bloody ages to fire up, and she is only on 2 cylinders. number 2 and 4 are out.getting a lot of back fireing and even blow back through numbers 2 and 4 carbs. at one point i slid open the slides and the mixture seemed to combust even though the engine was dead.

people were saying the prob was the carbs. well i removed the carbs and stripped them, they were clean but i cleaned all jets etc anyway. put back together and still wont start. the starter spins fine but the engine is only trying to catch every so often. i did check the spark on a plug by earthing it to the frame. though i have never done this befor i believe the spark to be very week, maybe so week as not to fire the engine. would this fit in with what i said in the first post. what could be the cause and how do i go about out.

cheers

stuart

ps

at least i now know how to strip my carbs...:-)

Have you checked the voltage accross the battery?

charged the battery and its keeping 12.5 volts.

doing my bloody head in

has anyone got a cdi that would fit a fzr400rr, and they are willing to nip round to stocksbridge to stick it on my bike to see if my cdi is the cause of my prob. will buy you a couple of drinks for your time..

cheers

stuart

Originally posted by rocks

has anyone got a cdi that would fit a fzr400rr, and they are willing to nip round to stocksbridge to stick it on my bike to see if my cdi is the cause of my prob. will buy you a couple of drinks for your time..

cheers

stuart

Sorry rocks I dont have one and dont know anyone who has.

Fat lot of use I am!!

Had a bad moment the other day, overtaking a car doing 60 that decided to move out on me, ended up coliding my left side with his right, only just touched me but enough to **** me up alot and put me on a collision course with an oncoming car, had no choice but to keep the throttle on and that got me past him and back in to my lane. No damage to me or the bike surprisingly. I swear if his window had been down I could have stuck my head in his car.

Very close!!

never mind sticking your head in the car, if the window was down i would have punched the ****er..

hope it does not put you off riding dbr dave.

one brand spanking new yuasa battery. code ytx9-bs

12v 8ah. bought for my fzr400rr to try and solve the non running prob i have . was told the battery could be at fault so bought new one. the new battery made no differance so the old one was not at fault. so i have 2 when i only need 1.only had a few days , will take £35.

cheers

stuart

ps

the bloody thing is still not running...:-(

ps

the bloody thing is still not running...:-(

Sounds like a poor spark. May need coil replacing. Or the HT leads but these are often integral with the coil.

You say you have earthed the plug and got a weak spark, well try earthing a plug from one of the "good" cylinders. Is it stronger?

If yes then swap the coils round and see if the problem is now in the other two cylinders. If yes, you need replacement coil from breakers.

Elimination is the only way to be sure.

Andy

andy , have been told that even a week spark would ignite the fuel, is this true or not.

how can i test the coils, they all give the same spark, week. i have no data or info/ manual for this bike. rather rare.

stuart

andy , have been told that even a week spark would ignite the fuel, is this true or not.

how can i test the coils, they all give the same spark, week. i have no data or info/ manual for this bike. rather rare.

stuart

You say 2 & 4 cylinders are not firing properly, are they fed by the same coil? Follow the HT leads back from plug heads to coils. If they go into same coil it is too much of a coincidence to be anything else.

As I said before, swap the coils over and see if problem persists but this time on cylinders 1 & 3.

If 2 & 4 are fed by different coils it could be the HT leads.

Simplest solution is call out an auto electrician. If you have not sorted the problem after all this time it must be worth a few quid to get it fixed.

Andy

When's the next ride then? Anyone up for one this week?

John.

have a little voice in my head that says it may be a valve prob. looking back the last thing i did with the bike , well i think so anyway, was playing around in the back yard with it and seeing if i could do a burn out. you all know the stupid things we do sometimes.

well its not run since. i posted this on another forum and they say that doing this type silly thing puts extra strain on the engine etc. if the engine was not 100% anyway this would speed thing up faster than normal riding. ie maybe a valve was not sitting right but normal riding was not enough to cause agro. doing a burn out was and so the dead engine and ****** off me. if this is the answer to my prob then i will be calling myself a ****** for doing it........

we live and learn.............................................well sometimes

stuart