Ride outs in Sheffield

Originally posted by BruciesBabe

Over the snake and into Glossop is also a nice ride.

Did that Sunday down to Hillsborough though riverlin (watch out cops are sneeky there like to hide in bushes) then head up to Ladybower (Watch for road works just before ladybower traffic lights), Then over the snake to Glossup. Once in glossop take the main round about town centre right turn this will cut out the rest off Glossup and take you back onto the woodhead back to Sheffield. If you feeling adventurest turn right just before Stocksbridge and go over the Strines (but becarefull lots off very slow corners) this will bring you back on the Snake just before Riverlin.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Bikertec

If you feeling adventurest turn right just before Stocksbridge and go over the Strines (but becarefull lots off very slow corners) this will bring you back on the Snake just before Riverlin.:thumbsup:

The Strines road is also rather "undulating", which some of my friends aren't that keen on...

...no problem on a Ten' though Billie.

Another option at the Glossop traffic lights is to turn left instead (there's nice cafe there) up over the moors (on the A624) to Chapel-on-le-Frith, from there you can either cut back to Castleton and home, or carry on to Buxton, and ultimately the Cat & Fiddle.

:)

Originally posted by foo_fighter

The Strines road is also rather "undulating", which some of my friends aren't that keen on...

...no problem on a Ten' though Billie.

Another option at the Glossop traffic lights is to turn left instead (there's nice cafe there) up over the moors (on the A624) to Chapel-on-le-Frith, from there you can either cut back to Castleton and home, or carry on to Buxton, and ultimately the Cat & Fiddle.

Yep until you get used to the Strines it is a bit hairy inplaces used to start Outibridge through Bradfield over the strines through Stocksbridge then back to Outibridge and home to Foxhill. Nice little afternoon ride Strines pub is a nice place for a drink too (but would't recomend the food).:thumbsup: By the way there is a big ride out Sun 26th June upto know over 30 diversions from all over the UK but everyones welcome Starting at Claycross I believe.

http://groups.msn.com/YamahaDiversions/bgauctions.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=48980&LastModified=4675518227213690231&all_topics=1

Cool guys, ta for the info. Lemme know any events coming up, if anyone knows of any sale events too that would be great - heard about one in Pontefract but I missed it, friend of a friend went on the last day and bought Shoei leathes for £50 and a 'last season' Arai helmet for £50 too!!! As a tall bird I'm having trouble getting leathers to fit, might have to have some made - mens are too bulky and big on the waist and womens are too short in the leg/arms, been to CMC, Carnells, Crusader - think of any more places? Think theres a new shop opened in what used to be Marples?? Might have a neb there in my lunch hour. Laters :)

Theres a leather shop in Mexborough on the right as you go in to the town (dual carraigeway I think). Got my gf leathers from there, thier cheap and good quality plus they make there own leathers I think. Sorry can't remember the name.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Billie

Many thanks to SHarper, bikertec and scanman, soon as we get another decent weekend I'll tootle off, yeah I'll be careful, not a speed freak (much), you guys take care too. I feel such a fraud when biker dudes do the nod on their R1's or ducatis - I nod back thinkin 'oo how nice, I'm just a girl though' plus I'm only on a Yam 660 tenere (aka - a tractor).

No way, Dukes, R1's, Gixers are not the only bikes that are cool!

I chose not to buy an R1 as tempting as it was for this season.

I decided to go supermoto, and wow, what fun!

With a little more practive, I might be stopping at traffic lights on the front wheel, and leaving them on the back wheel :clap: :clap: :clap:

What do you mean, JUST a girl, I think there should be more female riders.

Yeah Venger it's unusual to see girls on a bike, unless they're on the back rather than being left at home every nice day. In fact, I don't remember seeing any girlies on their own bikes apart from one friend of mine - she's a nutter, she's got an R1 but she lives in Winchester. I decided to take my test when I split with the ex cos it's something wicked you can do on your own.

Think I need to go on a motorcycle maintainance course so I know a clutch basket from a top box!! Don't even know where to put the oil in mine!! Thats another thing - I need to get it serviced, was gonna take it to that place opposite CCC off Bramall Lane, they did the MOT and seemed ok.

While we're here, wotcha reckon would be a nice tall sports-tourer? Think I'll do this summer on my single cylinder Tenere then maybe get something a bit more grown up, so I need to have a good idea what I want so I can keep a beedy eye out.

Check out Visordown.com for some varied feedback.

I am usually found in the supermoto section only, but there is allsorts on there and can prove quite useful.

My advice would be check out some road tests.

Have a couple of test rides.

Speak to people on that or similar forums :)

While we're here, wotcha reckon would be a nice tall sports-tourer?

Well I've got a ZZR600 now after my last bike, a CBR400RR "MiniBlade". I loved the 400 to bits (almost literally ;-), but I ended up doing a lot of long distance miles on it and the riding position did my back in, so I went straight for the most comfortable 600 I knew about. A bit of a change, and a bit heavy, but I wouldn't change it for the world right now. I suppose it depends on the mix of sports and touring you're likely to do, I'm definitely more touring than sports if you see what I mean.

As for good rides, I don't really know as I'm new to the area, though I agree Snake Pass was fun, but I still do mostly motorway miles, as my \_/ shaped tire shows. A628 (Woodhead?) might have been a bit of fun, but I've only done it when it was pi**ing down and I couldn't see jack with rain on my specs and visor.

Perhaps we could get a ride out organised.

I don't know a single other Sheffield bike owner :(

If you organise it, they will come...........

Well I will anyway.........

HI All,

I've been reading this thread with much enjoyment, and thought it time I said Hello *waves*

I've only just passed my CBT (I can hear you chuckling) and i'm just starting my 'proper' lessons to go on to take my test, i've just got my first bike, a Kawasaki Eliminator (I was built for comfort, not for speed).

I'm another 'just a girl' lol, but i'm still really into my bikes, I was brought up with them, indeed I was nearly born in a side-car :D

Billie, you were saying about going to a motorbike mechanics course, well Castle college do them, i've been looking into going myself.

I realise I'd have no chance of keeping up with any of you 'big kids' just yet...but once i've got me a real ride i'll definately be up for some meets!

As a newbie, i'd appreciate any advice/tips etc too :)

ooh, I was talking to a friend today, and apparently a keen biker has just taken over the Horse & Jockey pub up near Wadsley Church, and he's turning the back into camping pitches etc for bikers riding thru to stay over etc...