Woodseats and the 21st Century

Why avoid pubs that have skysports in it!

Correct me if im wrong but dont pubs make more money from people going in for a pint and to watch the football then old fashioned pipe smokers supping real ale!

They might do.

I hate having distractions of TV screens in pubs. Especially in pubs like the abbey where in the old days in the tap room they had their big screen and all the football fans crowded in and had a great time.

Now they have a screen in the lounge too. Watching football is a minority activity, and many of us feel that it is an imposition that there is no pub in woodseats where we can have a pint without having a TV screen in view with blummin football on every single night.

Not being a drinker I can't say about bars. I do know that Woodseats has a great fishmonger (practically an extinct species, a good greengrocer, and a hardware shop. If that's living in a time warp then great better than all shops being chainstore supermarket. Why is Nettos thought to be Chavland? Some of us don't have the money to shop elsewhere. That certainly doesn't make me a Chav. Great if you're rich enough to shop elsewhere but don't look down your nose at people like me.

They might do.

I hate having distractions of TV screens in pubs. Especially in pubs like the abbey where in the old days in the tap room they had their big screen and all the football fans crowded in and had a great time.

Now they have a screen in the lounge too. Watching football is a minority activity, and many of us feel that it is an imposition that there is no pub in woodseats where we can have a pint without having a TV screen in view with blummin football on every single night.

Thats Understandable but i bet u change your tune when England are on the TV or the world cup is on.

Im sorry but theres always the Chantry on woodseats that dont have skysports! just that pet shop owner watching the TV with subtitles on at the edge of the bar. (which i once saw him fall off VERY FUNNY) lol

Thats Understandable but i bet u change your tune when England are on the TV or the world cup is on.

Im sorry but theres always the Chantry on woodseats that dont have skysports! just that pet shop owner watching the TV with subtitles on at the edge of the bar. (which i once saw him fall off VERY FUNNY) lol

Actually I particularly hate england football games and the world cup. Coupled with the violence and childish behaviour many people insist on due to it.

And the chantrey might not have a big screen in operation any longer but they do have a small screen in the right hand corner when you go in.

Why is Nettos thought to be Chavland? Some of us don't have the money to shop elsewhere. That certainly doesn't make me a Chav. Great if you're rich enough to shop elsewhere but don't look down your nose at people like me.

Netto counts as a chav place because there is a snobbery among the poorest people in the poorest council estates about it. I have heard about this from some of my unwaged friends who live in nearby sink estates. Apparently you can be ridiculed or even beaten up for carrying something in a netto bag, and so some people use netto but take a carrier bag from other shops.

Having spent time in Germany where Netto is used by the wealthy as well, and you would be considered to be mentally ill to pay any more from a "fancy supermarket", I have no quarms about making good use of netto. Several times I have used a heavy duty netto bag to collect my shopping in sainsbury's.

i like woodseats, i work there and its probably my fav place in sheffield. People are friendly and its nice to drive around there and go to the shops and the surrouding areas are nice as well like lowedges, gleadless, dronfield, norton, totley, dore.

Even in the chavvy places of sheffield its still nice! Blackstock gets a bad name but isnt that bad.

and you live in Gleadless valley!

Who does?

I live in woodseats. :suspect:

Reading this thread - there seems to be quite a large number of SF'ers in Woodseats :confused:

Reading this thread - there seems to be quite a large number of SF'ers in Woodseats :confused:

Indeed, have you never heard of the woodseats unofficial meets?

always very well attended.

Also woodseats is one of the largest districts in sheffield, so it is highly likely that a high number of forummers are from this district.

I lived in Woodseats for the first 12 years of my life.

I attended Woodseats school and my grandparents had a chip shop on Chesterfield Road.

Later, after I passed the 11 plus exam in 1945, I went to High Storrs and six months after that, we moved to Meadowhead.

Woodseats was a good place to live in those days. There were several streets suitable for sledging in winter and Graves Park was a great place to explore.

It was virtually untouched by bombs during the war. Only a few fell in the vicinity. The war seemed to have passed us by in Woodseats.