Should There Be Legal Areas For Graffiti?

Complete rubbish. Advertisments are on private property (even if it is owned by the council) and go through a planning process. If you want to paint a mural then you can do the same. If you want to simply paint anythere you like then this is criminal damage.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that graffiti is a crime and this forum shouldn't be used to encourage or justify criminal behaviour.

I never said people should be able to paint graffiti art anywhere they want, nor did I say no planning application process shouldn't happen. I actually suggested consultation if you read my previous posts, not all billboards are on private property in fact on the contrary most are council owned which means their not private property if their council owned.

You also should realise that the UK has free speech where people can voice their opinion as long as it's not to cause hatred or stir up trouble, forums are for discussing all issues & topics & not everyone agrees with the current laws which are implemented which is why we have a democracy.

My thoughts:

1) It is absolutely absurd to compare graffiti of any form to crimes like child-molesting or burglary. The child-molesting comparison in particular is actually offensive.

2) I don't like basic 'tagging', for the simple reason that it's self-obsessed. However, I think kids who do this kind of thing need guiding towards better forms of the art rather than shopping to the cops.

3) I get told I'm inferior every day by advertising billboards out in public places. I have no choice whether or not to see these monstrosities, so I'm not going to ask permission to scrawl replies on them.

4) Legalised graffiti areas are a great idea, but will not replace graffiti on billboards, or other well-placed political or social graffiti.

5) Graffiti artists - those who are serious about graffiti - tend to be extremely conscious about where they put their work or slogans. If some idiot tags a car or a house window or something, they'll get a clip round the ear from their peers.

When I glanced at this thread title I thought it said

"Should there be legal areas for giraffes" :confused:

well they can do it on canvous and try an get it in to a galorey
we do do canvasses and the galleries wont touch us with a barge pole.

My thoughts:

1) It is absolutely absurd to compare graffiti of any form to crimes like child-molesting or burglary. The child-molesting comparison in particular is actually offensive.

2) I don't like basic 'tagging', for the simple reason that it's self-obsessed. However, I think kids who do this kind of thing need guiding towards better forms of the art rather than shopping to the cops.

3) I get told I'm inferior every day by advertising billboards out in public places. I have no choice whether or not to see these monstrosities, so I'm not going to ask permission to scrawl replies on them.

4) Legalised graffiti areas are a great idea, but will not replace graffiti on billboards, or other well-placed political or social graffiti.

5) Graffiti artists - those who are serious about graffiti - tend to be extremely conscious about where they put their work or slogans. If some idiot tags a car or a house window or something, they'll get a clip round the ear from their peers.

well said gypsy hack.

Whilst there is a perception that Mount Pleasent is a legal site, it isn't. It is a council owned playground and ballpark, which has never been sanctioned for graffiti writers. It is not overlooked by any houses, and is thus difficult to police.

There are problems with graffit writers. Firstly, by their very action of painting (or 'writing') on the ballpark walls, they prevent legitimate use of the ballpark for what is was designed and provided for, namely, playing ball!

Secondly, there is creeping graffiti blight in the locality, including the external walls of the ballpark, adjacent buildings and nearby walls.

We are seen from the house's when painting, ive never had problems there, we let the lads play football and have a good joke around with the people that live there. Alot of people (strangers) comment on are work and enjoy it, where giving out art for free at are own expense, the writers and people you meet are amazing, how an earth can you have a mardy over a wall painted and painted again but yet never painted over by the council itself, if the council dont paint over are work where not costing them anything. Not to even mention the Jam we hold every single year POLICE PATROLED!